uniqs

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
join:2010-02-26
Canada

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

From graphics to motherboards

For my build I'm really liking the Asus P8Z77-V LX mobo, coming with the Z77 chipset. Can be had in the $130ish range, has all the features I'd want, but I've got some concerns..

1) ALC887 audio - there were some unreliable reports that the audio was too quiet as recently as in Ubuntu Precise. Can someone confirm or debunk this?

2) The onboard Realtek GigE LAN. Again some unreliable reports of issues, but wanted to check with the community here.

If any of these issues are real+not easily repairable with 100% FLOSS, do you guys have any other Linux-friendly 1155 board suggestions in that price range on the Canadian market?

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo

Premium Member

I don't know how helpful this is, but my board has Realtek ALC883 and it works just dandy on Ubuntu 12.04 and every other thing I've ever put on this machine.

sempergoofy
Premium Member
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA

sempergoofy to FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

to FiReSTaRT
For your consideration...
In researching the Asus boards for a recent build, I ended up choosing the P8Z77-V PRO instead of the sister models in the line. The reason was that for that particular system I needed to assure the on-board WiFi was going to work well with Linux. In my readings, someone wrote that the PRO WiFi used and Atheros chipset (well supported by Linux). The other model I was considering, the DELUXE, used a Broadcom chipset for the WiFi, according to what I read. Not impossible to use with Linux, but more difficult.

The Atheros chipset worked painlessly out of the box. The LX model does not appear to have any on-board WiFI capability like the PRO does.

The PRO uses an Intel chipset for its onboard wired Gigabit LAN as opposed to the Realtek chipset that the LX uses. The wired LAN on the PRO worked for me with no issues out of the box with OpenSuSE.

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium Member
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
Technicolor ET2251

timcuth to FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

to FiReSTaRT
My PC has onboard Realtek GigE LAN (r8168) and it works fine OOTB with Linux kernels newer than 3.1.6 using built-in kernel driver r8169. Prior to that, all I had to do was install the r8168 driver from Realtek. I don't think it should give you any trouble.

Tim

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
join:2010-02-26
Canada

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

said by timcuth:

My PC has onboard Realtek GigE LAN (r8168) and it works fine OOTB with Linux kernels newer than 3.1.6 using built-in kernel driver r8169. Prior to that, all I had to do was install the r8168 driver from Realtek. I don't think it should give you any trouble.

Tim

Thanks.. It is working just fine right now. Love the fully supported Intel graphics. The only thing missing is a more modern keyboard with shorter keystrokes and less noise. Got spoiled on laptops lol

Went with Nadia and XFCE
FiReSTaRT

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

And got myself the perfect keyboard.. Surprisingly cheap, too... iCan WK718 with their crappy mouse.. »www.canadacomputers.com/ ··· d=033278 I was willing to get into the c-note range and the best one for my needs was like $10-12, whatever.. Picked it up while getting some thermal paste, needed to remount the heat-sink and modify the cpu fan a bit.. That's working good too.. In a VERY warm room, probably 30 degree range, using CPUBurn P6 on all 4 cores, it stabilizes at 65-66. Now I'm good for 5-6 years,