how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jsjones008

@mycingular.net

Getting New HSI Account in My Name

Hello,
In the past week, Comcast shut off our services because my mother refused to pay her bill (they were charging her more and more each month and she was fed up with it, but refused to call and complain). She just decided to not pay her bill and got us DISH TV services the very next day.

In this process, I lost internet and the only way for me to access it is through my phone for the time being. As someone in college, internet is pretty important. My only options of an ISP are Comcast and HughesNet, as we live too far out for DSL service. I'd really rather not get HughesNet if it can be avoided, as it is relatively expensive for a crappy connection.

I'm curious to if anyone knows if Comcast will allow me to open up an account in my name for HSI services despite an account being past due already at this address, or am I stuck with having to get the internet provided by DISH?

Thank you.

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

You should be able to. If not, you can always use the address and attach an "apartment" to it.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com
»www.BronzedBod.com

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Another option is to pay the outstanding balance.

Oregonian
Premium
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Russ6:

Another option is to pay the outstanding balance.

This seems like the best approach to me. Call Comcast and explain the situation and see if they can reduce the monthly cost if you will pay the overdue balance. Try working with them without getting all worked up and see if you can find a compromise that works for both sides. That way your Mom won't have a black mark on her credit.

jsjones008

@mycingular.net

I've talked to her about it, and she's flat out refusing (she literally doesn't care about the mark on her credit. And she owes $800 apparently, or that's what their lock screen told me when I tried to access the internet the other day).

I'm going to just ask about an account in my own name, but if all else fails I guess I'll have to help pay off the balance, or pay it all myself if need be.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

1 recommendation

reply to jsjones008

They are not suppose to allow you to open a account in your name. The 800 dollar bill may include unreturned equipment.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI
reply to jsjones008

They shouldn't, as they usually require proof of residency if the previous person (assuming they have a balance) within 90 days of new service.

Best bet is to get your mom to pay the balance.

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to jsjones008

your mom knows you're in college and she let the internet get cut off? she does know you need it for school right?

what exactly was Comcast charging her more and more?

as a parent, I know its my responsibility to keep / provide services in order for my kids to do their schoolwork and such, letting it go for such mundane reason of getting more charges and not complaining about it is somehow a little fishy too me...

you sure you're internet didn't get cut off because of excessive use or overages? just asking...

Expand your moderator at work

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to jsjones008

Re: Getting New HSI Account in My Name

Find out what you/she owes $800 for (as rody_44 See Profile said unreturned equipment could be a lot of it, $800 if in monthly fees must be a number of months behind) and then make an agreement to pay off any reasonable/undisputed charges with payments if needed.
BTW if the bad credit gets reported, other providers (DISH, Telco) may note the address and name being the same and charge very high deposits, in the long run the $800 (or final actual balance) is pretty cheap.

jsjones008

@mycingular.net

Apparently she didn't pay in July and fell a month behind. She was also late on her November payment (wasn't much we could do, all the bills hit the same week and I helped as much as possible). They went ahead and tacked on December as well (as they usually do), so in reality she probably only owes around $540. She is taking our equipment back tomorrow, so I'm sure it'll bring it down a little more.

Our bill month to month was $250ish with the Triple Play package. So it does add up in the end. There is no overage charges or anything, because I never made it even close to the 250GB cap.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:9

There are no "overage" charges for going over 250GB. With what's been already said; find out what she owes, try to negotiate an acceptable sum down to get HSI only activated & the rest spread out with your new monthly invoice. If you have a credit card, you can enroll in auto-pay which may also help restore faith in your account with them. (just an option).

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
reply to jsjones008

If you have the same last name, there is no chance without paying off the balance. If the phone rep doesn't catch it, an in house installer will.
--
Ex-Comcast Tech at the Beach. I speak for myself, not my former employer.

AndyDufresne
Premium
join:2010-10-30
Chanhassen, MN
reply to jsjones008

If you have same last names you are sol if you get employee who is paying attention. Your best bet is to get a direct sales guy to sell you chsi. All they care about is the sale and the ones that key their orders are usually temps or newbies who don't give a hoot. you could always pay the bill.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Evanston, IL
reply to rody_44

OP is not late on payment. His mom is. that is a totally different account. You can have multiple accounts at a single address.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:3

said by ArrayList:

OP is not late on payment. His mom is. that is a totally different account. You can have multiple accounts at a single address.

Yes, so long all the accounts are paid in a timely fashion.

For him to get service in his name, he would need to prove to Comcast that he is now the new tenant of the home (i.e. provide a lease agreement, etc).

Comcast isn't dumb -- they won't allow addresses with outstanding payments to have service reactivated under a different name. If that was the case, then the husband, then wife, then son, then daughter, then grandfather, then gandmother, etc would get the service in their name everytime the former stopped paying the bill.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:5

Yes, there have been a number of previous posts about the same or similar situation/issue:

»Trying to order HSI

»[Billing] Installation to new apartment - says balance due

»Transferring service question

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
Evanston, IL
reply to Rob

That make sense for comcast, but why is the kid responsible for someone else's service? That is what I don't understand. When does one person become responsible for someone else's responsibility?

Zizoo

join:2010-05-12
PA

1 recommendation

He used the service that was in her name. He has just as much as a responsibility as she does to pay the bill in my opinion.

flwpwr

@comcast.net
reply to ArrayList

said by ArrayList:

That make sense for comcast, but why is the kid responsible for someone else's service? That is what I don't understand. When does one person become responsible for someone else's responsibility?

Because the kid lives in the same place, if he/she moves to an apartment and calls with no previous balance under its name they will sign him/her up fast and with a smile, ok maybe not the smile.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
Evanston, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Zizoo

said by Zizoo:

He used the service that was in her name.

immaterial. The only person Comcast has any authority to go after would be the person who's name is on the account.

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
kudos:1

said by ArrayList:

said by Zizoo:

immaterial. The only person Comcast has any authority to go after would be the person who's name is on the account.

Yep

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to ArrayList

said by ArrayList:

said by Zizoo:

So the kid doesn't HAVE to pay, But comCast has the right to refuse service at that address until that bill is paid or they have PROOF that it is a new tennat.
The advise given, is for the OP's convience (and mothers credit rating) to work it out and pay it off.

medbuyer

reply to jsjones008

said by jsjones008:

Our bill month to month was $250ish with the Triple Play package.

and I thought that my DirecTV before was already outrageous at $150...

why didn't she downgrade the services soon enough so she wouldn't get a ding on her credit report...she could have done that instead of fighting it out with comcast when she actually agreed to it.

mike34
Premium
join:2004-07-17
Central City, PA
reply to jsjones008

Something's fishy.

250.00/mo for Triple Play?

I would think 150.00 is more like it, isn't it?

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
Evanston, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to tshirt

You can have multiple accounts at the same address, I don't know how his mothers service affects the OPs ability to get their own service. If OP has good credit, there is no risk for comast to provide service. I hope OP has some good alternatives to comcast.

OP shouldn't pay for it. It isn't their responsibility if they are not listed on the bill.

and yes, I understand that comcast may have the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason, but OP should check with his public utilities commission and see if that is legal for comcast to do that. I'm guessing it is, but it doesn't hurt to explore all avenues.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
Evanston, IL
reply to beachintech

it's sad that sharing a name is enough to be denied service. Maybe they should go on something a bit more reliable like a credit score?

medbuyer

1 edit

said by ArrayList:

it's sad that sharing a name is enough to be denied service. Maybe they should go on something a bit more reliable like a credit score?

no, they dropped their common sense and signed up for something that they didn't really need.

i hate to say this but this thing happens everyday...

i used to have directv and thought...hhmmm...$150 seems outrageous...so I cut it thinking we only watch local channels and I know we can survive without...

with satellite out of the picture, I went to my phone bill next, lowered it down to the basic service for my security to work without hassle...

next was the internet...I needed a reliable connection since I know my whole family will use and need it so I kinda splurged on that part, getting Comcast Biz for better service thinking it was only 5-10 more compared to residential, no caps and better support aside from the fact that I am already out of the $150 satellite bill...

it's all about making the logical choices, putting in all the common sense that you can squeeze out of your brain...

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:3
reply to ArrayList

said by ArrayList:

It may not be fair, but you have to draw the line somewhere. And that line is that Comcast will allow new service if they can be provided evidence that the person who has the outstanding bill will not benefit from the continued service. And that evidence is usually in the form of a lease agreement.

The mother will benefit from the use of Comcast if Comcast allows the son to get the service under his name, while she owes money.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6

So the mother is banned from enjoying any sort of Comcast service now? Can't go to someone's house and use the internet or watch TV?

In all seriousness order some service online. Worst case they deny it, then just order DSL.

The ordering service at another address bit seems interesting. Do you know someone that will let you? If Comcast denies you at your address you could try to order it and get it installed at another address, and then call comcast in a week or 2 and tell them you moved!
--
PRescott7-2097