SysOp

join:2001-04-18
Douglasville, GA
Reviews:
·MetroPCS

4 edits

IPS Monitor Pivot The best of both worlds Portrait Landscape

$200 Asus PB238Q

After about 8 years my old 17" 1280x1024 lcd ccfl monitor is turning yellow so it was time to replace it.

What to get? What do I use it for?

For games and movies I would want a wide screen. For websites and office I would want a tall screen. I want both portrait and landscape. But you can't just rotate any LCD on it's side and expect a great view. That's where IPS comes in. IPS is all about viewing angles.

What size? Why?

1080p @ 24" since a 24" has a higher pixel density than a 27" monitor at the same resolution. Large selection of consumer IPS. And price.

Why not 2560x1440?
My video card can not play games at that resolution. Mainly cost.

What about pulse-width modulation?
At any brightness less than 100% you activate the PWM. Some people can get sick from the strobe effect. I turn down the brightness in the OS settings, not the monitor and I don't get the pwm strobe.

When you consider you next monitor, go to a store that has an IPS monitor with pivot and take it for a test drive. You may like it.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
What video card do you have?

I always think of just a monitor upgrade (or just a video card upgrade) as half an upgrade.

SysOp

join:2001-04-18
Douglasville, GA

1 edit
I agree. Also bought an HD 6870 and 500w ps.

Not that I've tried it at 2560x1440. Based on what I've read, I would need a much better card or even two GPUs.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to SysOp
I actually like 27” monitors at 1920x1080 resolution. I don't have a problem with it, although, I know some people do. I have Asus VE278Q, VE276Q and VK278Q models in a triple monitor setup. I also like 27” monitors at 2560x1440 resolution and have two Auria EQ276W IPS models which are unbelievably fantastic IMO. The Auria EQ276W was about ~$399 at Microcenter:

»microcenter.com/product/384780/E···_Monitor

»hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1694047

Sometimes the default text size in Windows and OS X seems a bit too small at 2560x1440 but I can manage.

I don’t really have a need for rotating the display in portrait mode though,…..

Portrait mode, maybe if I wanted to try and fit a fourth or even a fifth 27” monitor in the same triple monitor setup space which is in landscape mode now. I don’t see that happening though,….

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
reply to SysOp
Interesting monitor. My biggest problem (so far) with IPS panels is what's called "IPS glow" particularly when viewed from specific angles. I'm aware Asus' site blabs about the viewing angles looking great for colour/picture -- which is true -- but when I see stuff like this:

»www.overclockers.com/forums/show···t=720840

Combined with my own experience with a Dell U2412M (which is an S-IPS panel), which mimics these folks' experience. My experience was 100% identical to the first video, except in a well-lit room, which should give you some idea how major this can be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_RCYtplefA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAIyQQhDmDM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77lHHafbJEw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY59cBbOG78

I'm left wondering if the PB238Q has the same problem. In fact, from what I've read on HardOCP, this is a common issue with IPS in general.

And here's a great video showing why this is such a problem, although this video is for a PLS vs. S-PVA panel (and I do have a Dell 2407WFP rev A02 which is S-PVA and that kind of glow/issue is not present on mine, and the viewing angles are fantastic):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33H7AnoAXEs

With regards to the U2412M (which I had to return), I intended for it to be used as either my primary monitor or a second monitor -- secondary was completely out of the question given the glow from even slight angles, and once I made it my primary I realised it also wouldn't work (I couldn't read any text in the bottom right or bottom left of my screen, despite facing the monitor head-on).

Everyone rags on the U2412M for it's colour gamut being 6-bit or whatever, but honestly I saw no issue (even with extreme gradients; the colour was absolutely gorgeous). What I did see, however, was heavy glow that made text/areas of the screen basically unreadable at even small angles (even 10-12 degrees).

The best advice you give is your last line: go to a store and use one of these panels yourself. However, ask to use the panel in a room that's lit much like the room in which you plan on using the monitor. Most stores have bright fluorescent or LED ambient lighting, which is generally not how people have their household rooms lit.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.