uniqs
share rss forum feed

jsb

join:2009-12-25
Canada
Reviews:
·BabyTel

Triple WAN config w/ PBR - going nuts here

I've read numerous articles on Cisco's website, the support forums, whirlpool forums, dslreports & others trying to understand how PBR, route-maps & default routes work. Here's the deal:

ISR with NAT overload with the following iface's:
WAN:
Dialer1 - WAN A on Gi0/0, dynamic
Dialer2 - WAN B on Gi0/0, dynamic
Fa0/0 - no ip address but 2 dialers mentioned above
Fa0/1 to Cable (DHCP, dynamic) - WAN C

Fa1/0 (routed port) with subifs:
fa1/0.10 & 0.20 should go to WAN A
fa1/0.30 should go to wan B
fa1/0.40 should go to wan C

I do NOT wish to implement failover or load balancing at this time. I am trying to wrap my head around PBR on this job but cannot make it work. I tried setting a default route to the cable provider, which works when I try to ping an external host from Fa0/1, but inevitably breaks my default route to the DSL dialers. I originally thought I could leave "ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Dialer1" and just worry about setting an ip policy route-map on the .30 & .40 subifs, and doing multiple ip nat overload statements with the appropriate route-maps.

Can anyone post a proof-of-concept config where I could get a better grasp at doing this? It can't be THAT complicated...

It's important to take note that I am running EIGRP on this machine because this router connects to a DMVPN network, in case that changes anything. I want the source interface of that tunnel to be WAN C. In fact, I might just end up putting Tun1 source interface to Fa0/1 and do no NAT at all, but even trying that won't work as there is no route configured in the ISR to Fa0/1's default GW.

Any ideas?

RyanG1
Premium
join:2002-02-10
San Antonio, TX
kudos:1
soooo what are you wanting to do? In order for PBR to work you need to match traffic, so what are you are you wanting to match?

what is your goal for this or what do you want to happen? Since you arent wanting to load balance or use failover the only option is to match traffic types and send it over a specified interface.

Ryan
--
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Da Geek Kid

join:2003-10-11
::1
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to jsb
hmm, let's figure out what all the post really mean... I am so confused...

you have 3 ISPs with dynamic dhcp IP addresses which have 3 default gateways pointing out their appropriate interfaces. Now I am not quite sure what's what. you G0/0, F0/0, F0/1, and F1/0...

oh, oh, oh, oh... I get, I get it... lol lol lol

you have 4 local IP subnets that need to statically create a route for pointing to each ISP.

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
reply to jsb
Do you have any sample configuration that you tried to apply to get this working, or that you think you should apply?

We can help you better by helping you to understand how the various bits of configuration fit together and how/why they work, rather than just dumping a slab of config infront of you.

PBR isnt that difficult. Its basically just a couple of ACLs to match certain traffic, and the route-maps where those ACLs are used along with some next hop settings to direct the traffic. Apply the route-map to the appropriate interface, and off you go.

But it would be good to see what you have tried, and we can tell you where you need to make changes.

jsb

join:2009-12-25
Canada
reply to jsb
DOH! I said Dialers on Gi0/0 but they're obviously on Fa0/0...

Yes, it sounds simple and I'm sure it is. Sorry if I sound confusing. I'll post configuration snippets as soon as I get back to the lab.