join:2009-03-17
NY

Desktop RAM Showing Up As Single Channel

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Motherboard- Asus M4A78LT-M
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···13131672

Memory- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Model# F3-8500CL7D-8GBRL
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20231308

I've had this computer for over a year now but recently I've been looking into overclocking but I'm not here about that. I noticed my RAM is showing Single-Channel and not Dual-Channel.

I've checked the BIOS for an update & options to change RAM settings, checked the MOBO manual. It clearly states slots 1/3 and 2/4 for dual channel. I've even tried switching the slots and still it's only showing Single.

POST shows Unganged.

I was looking at an upgrade, if suggested it would help in any way:
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20231277

Any ideas.. Any Input?

Thanks as always!

-MoreInput-

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23

1 recommendation

The MCH may have a limitation when used with 4GB DIMMs where they need to operate in single-channel mode. If you have 2GB DIMMs laying around, try those instead, and in the exact same slots. If it shows dual-channel with 2x2GB, but after reverting back to single-channel with 2x4GB, then it's an MCH limitation.

Easier method: contact the motherboard vendor (Asus) for clarification. They'll be able to help you.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

Chrno

join:2003-12-11

1 recommendation

reply to MoReInPuT

said by MoReInPuT:

I've checked the BIOS for an update & options to change RAM settings, checked the MOBO manual. It clearly states slots 1/3 and 2/4 for dual channel. I've even tried switching the slots and still it's only showing Single.

Well, there's your problem. Your board's DIMM slots are colour coded. In order to enable dual channel, you need to have the 2 DIMMs either both in the light blue slots or both in the black slots. Please do NOT have 1 DIMM in the black slot and 1 in the light blue slot. I recommend you try installing the DIMMs into the light blue slots if you haven't already and re-run your system info tool.

MoReInPuT

join:2009-03-17
NY

1 edit

Thanks for your help. It worked. It's funny because I was going to try it but I didn't.

The manual states:

Slot 1- A2
Slot 2- B2
Slot 3- A1
Slot 4- B1

Channel A- A1+A2
Channel B- B1+B2

So I was matching A1 & A2.

Is it worth going for the upgraded memory? It's so cheap now too.

MoreInput is highly satisfied.

Chrno

join:2003-12-11

RAM is cheap but if you don't need it then it's just a waste. Open up your resource manager and see how much memory on average your system is consuming. Seeing as that you already have 8GBs I would venture a guess and say it should suffice for majority of the tasks you do on your system.