spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

klau1

join:2012-12-04

[Internet] Static IP Bell VS Rogers

How static are the IPs at Bell's Internet Service (consumer level ie Fib16) compared to Rogers (Consumer level ie: Extreme)?

I notice Roger's IPs are practically static, which is very helpful for Remote Desktop and such.

squircle

join:2009-06-23
Oakville, ON

Bell's IPs will be just as "static", even moreso as your IP won't change as long as your DSL link is up (whereas DHCP can assign you a different address for any arbitrary reason).

joeblow3

join:2000-12-27
London, ON
reply to klau1

I use remote desktop quite often and am on Rogers. IP whether static or not doesn't matter. I use no-ip.com to give me a name to resolve to.

I have and FTP, WEB and remote desktop connections to my home PC & Server.

Good Luck
Bill

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:8
reply to klau1

Get a hostname from »www.dyndns.com/ and than a static P won't matter as they have software that runs on your computer to update the IP address that is associated with your hostname.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5

said by JCohen:

Get a hostname from »www.dyndns.com/ and than a static P won't matter as they have software that runs on your computer to update the IP address that is associated with your hostname.

Don't even need the software since most broadband routers have built-in support for dyndns and often a few other similar services.

As for the "staticness" of DHCP vs PPPoE, DHCP servers remember the customer MAC and will re-issue the same IP address as long as it is still valid for the CMTS and the customer reconnects using the same customer MAC before the lease expires so it tends to take a lot more than a loss of sync or modem/router reboot to lose an IP on cable. With PPPoE, you practically always get a new IP every time you lose the PPPoE session for whatever reason. So cable's dynamic IPs tend to be a whole lot more static than PPPoE's - at least when the cableco isn't in the process of turning its network inside-out.

urbang33k

join:2010-02-13
Canada
kudos:1
reply to klau1

The sagemcom actually has it built in.

the sgaemcom has support for NO-IP and DynDNS in the dyndns provider drop down

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
reply to InvalidError

said by InvalidError:

With PPPoE, you practically always get a new IP every time you lose the PPPoE session for whatever reason.

This isn't really an artifact of PPPoE, but more the particular configuration Bell uses. Part of the PPP negotiation typically includes the client requesting their previous IP on reconnect (if the router retains it). Typically, if that IP isn't used, AND the PPPoE server is configured to allow assignment of requested addresses AND the address is free, it will get assigned.

In the case of wholesale (GAS) since the BAS will fire the session off to different ISP LNSs to distribute load, the chances of hitting the same LNS that you were previously connected to (with the same IP pool) are lower, so typically you get a new IP from the pool of the LNS you happen to hit. You might get your IP back if your ISP allows their LNS to listen to your PPP negotiation "hints" during the connection setup phase.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net