Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to alkizmo

How does that second plug even stay in place?

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to nunya

Customer didn't want to fix. Wanted me to sign off saying it was OK.

And two of those are AL cables.

Zinsco. Failed to trip. $300,000.00 in damage

Concealed splices are a no-no. This one burned open.

Who the f*** thought this was OK?

CABLE GUY! OOPS.

No.

FPE Piece of shit. Jam packed. Customer wanted a new lid b/c the old one wouldn't go on any more.

Quality crafstmanship at an unnamed home improvement store. Our lights never stay on.

More.

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

said by nunya:

More.

That's just really scary.

I've seen those type of connections elsewhere (the home improvement store ones). What are they called?

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to nunya

I wish those pictures weren't so small. Looks like some real gems there.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to Jack_in_VA

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by sk1939:

said by Jack_in_VA:

Unnecessary expense, problems and liability for the homeowne. Of course I guess the local electricians don't care for it.

Most places say that the utilities responsibility ends at the weather-head.

Most places? or just where you are? It would be interesting to see a list of POCO's and states requirements. From what I've seen so far it's the North East that the utilities stick the customer with that expense and liability.

Electricity is no different then cable or phone that deliver their product "to the customers house" and provide the interface for the customer to connect to.

The POCO here providing the service to the meter base is consistent with acceptable provider service.

Here the coop owns the lines to your house and the meter and that's pretty much it. After the mast, everything including the meter pan is yours.

I have UG service and I own everything up to the service laterals (theirs). This means that if there's a problem with UG service laterals they fix. If it's in the meter pan, my problem.

It actually became an issue for many after Irene, last year's snow storm and Sandy because the coop refused to reconnect members with damaged service on the customer side. They had to get a sparky to fix it before they could be reconnected.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to telco_mtl

said by telco_mtl:

wow thats a nice deal, up here if you are disconected because of a problem with your service, hydro cuts the drop at the pole and on the building "as high as the guy can reach" if you want to get re connected a sparky will provide a new triplex long enough to get to the pole... for a fee!

Here they just disconnect you remotely. Smart meter!

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to alkizmo

The CFL tree is only 130 watts. It may look ugly but hardly a safety hazard.

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1

Agree. I've built CFL trees myself. It wouldn't be safe with incandescent bulbs.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to fifty nine

said by fifty nine:

I'd be more concerned about the structural integrity of all those adapters with all that weight, especially considering that this type of thing is often manufactured to low quality standards (I've had some literally come apart while screwing a bulb in).

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to fifty nine

said by fifty nine:

I thought it looks great. I see that Leviton makes light socket Y-adapters and I have some spare CFL bulbs now that I started to experiment with LED bulbs. Time for a little Home Improvement project

Put upside down with red and green mini-CFL it would make a nice electric Christmas Tree.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

nunya
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to nunya

Click for full size
Cables had a little help leaving
Click for full size
Empty pipes
About $100,000.00 worth of copper theft. Whoever did this has a lot of time and the right tools.
About a week before, they cut the padlocks on the pole and opened the 13.8 kV cutout switches to the transformers. Stole both pad mounted transformers (4000A). Obviously you need some heavy equipment to do that.

These pictures are just some of the damage. They obviously worked in the building for days pulling out cables.

I believe it was an electrical contractor.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:6

said by nunya:

I believe it was an electrical contractor.

Who would have no problem selling the wire as scrap...being in the business and all.

nunya
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting

I'd say they needed 3-4 guys in there for a few days. Paralleled 750 MCM doesn't exactly slide out of pipe with ease. I could see where they had a tugger set up.
--

jrs8084
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC

This wasn't an amateur job. You know your competitors. Do you have a gut feel about one of them?

Zorack

join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV
reply to nunya

What's up with the "Who the f*** thought this was OK?" pic,a larger pic please?
--
Matt Barlow Rules! Bring him back to Iced Earth! \m/

nunya
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to jrs8084

said by jrs8084:

This wasn't an amateur job. You know your competitors. Do you have a gut feel about one of them?

I was brought in as a paid consultant by the insurance investigator. To maintain my "disinterested 3rd party" standing, I get paid for my time but cannot bid or do the repair work. I do this occasionally for insurance companies - it's usually for fires where I work with an outside engineer who also has "3rd party" status.
The police weren't even slightly interested in this case. The insurance company hired an insurance investigator who also hired a private investigator.
Long story short, it was a contractor who was working for the campus owner and they were in cahoots. Not enough evidence to prove it, so they paid the claim.
Here's pretty much how it has been explained to me by insurance investigators:
What the insurance company is required to do (and this depends on the state), is to notify law enforcement (police or district attorney) or an insurance board of their suspicion. If the reviewing body says they want to prosecute or there is enough evidence to deny, they hold the claim. They usually only do this on "slam dunk" cases.
Even though $100,000.00 seems like a lot of money, it could easily double or triple if litigation is involved. It's cheaper to pay it and move on (drop the customer). That's one of the reasons insurance is so expensive.
The insurance guys tell me that about 10% of premiums go straight to fraud.
--

intok

join:2012-03-15
reply to nunya

said by nunya:

More.

Why are they so tiny? Can't make out all the gory details...

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

said by intok:

said by nunya:

More.

Why are they so tiny? Can't make out all the gory details...

He's teasing the coffee table book.
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--