izy
MVM
join:2000-09-21
endless loop

izy to koam

MVM

to koam

Re: [WIN7] Computer shut down unexpectedly

Run the Dell hardware diagnostics. Press F12 at boot to access.

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium Member
join:2000-08-16
East Puddle
·Shoreham Telephone

koam

Premium Member

I ran the diagnostics F12 at boot and the initial pass ran fine. It then asked me if I wanted to do more memory tests and estimated that it would take 30 mins. It worked along for what seemed like much more than 30 mins....more like 100 mins, but it seemed to be doing the work, with the screen continually updating and the word "Pass" after each group.

When it finally stopped it said Disk Error. The diagnostics seemed to be done, but then..... when trying to boot into Windows, it gave me an error telling me to get my Windows Installation Disk to repair. It would not reboot into windows. It mentioned disk corruption, recommending chkdsk. I used my System Repair Disk. and it booted into Windows.

I had checked and it had already created a System Restore point the night before for a Windows Update overnight. (Note the computer ran all night and did not reboot and I never saw the balloon notification that Windows Updates had been applied in the morning..all my apps were still running in the morning...and all this was before the shutdown event in the OP that came without warning). So I didn't create a new Restore point since there had been one hours earlier.

I created a System Image to an external drive, and backed up files to another external drive.

Since the Windows Repair it has booted into Windows OK and I have not restarted. I'm afraid to do the chkdsk because I think that may worsen the situation. I really don't need this computer to crap out on me right now as it's the only one I have. I hope that the System Image will be of use if the system drive fails.

The hard drive is SSD. Device manager: Hard Drives: 2 items
1) Generic Multi-card USB Device
2) INTEL SSDSA1MH080G1GN

The computer has been working fine. I'm a little afraid to reboot....don't want to get stuck. Also afraid to run diagnostics....solely because I don't want to get stuck without a computer. (When things ease up, I'll geek out on it.) In any case, I hope the system image created after the repair will be of value and not corrupted.

Any ideas of what's going on?