uniqs
share rss forum feed

Badger3k
We Don't Need No Stinkin Badgers
Premium
join:2001-09-27
Franklin, OH

Late 2012 Mac Mini bad drive?

I just purchased a Late 2012 Mac Mini (Base line). The factory drive makes really loud clicking sounds... almost like it's bad or soon to be bad. Maybe it's just when the disk wakes up and spins up? Disk Utility comes back fine, SMART comes back fine and using Disk Speed test which writes data to the drive it seems to be just fine. Is this maybe just normal for the drive being used? I've noticed it the most using iMovie and saving events/projects.
--
Team Discovery: Project Hope

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
kudos:1
1 - Create Backup
2 - Go to Apple Store and have them replace (you're probably still under warranty)
3 - Don't look for answers to "funny sounds" from a drive. It's usually indicative of a problem, but since you'll (most likely) have a new drive replaced at no cost to you...why take a chance?

Badger3k
Premium
Franklin, OH
I bought a SSD drive, so I'm not even using the stock drive for anything yet. I figured I'd just ask first before making the trip to the local Apple Store since it's not really a big deal.
--

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
reply to Badger3k
I would do like haroldo suggested and get the drive exchanged under warranty. If anything it would make a good external drive for back ups.
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to Badger3k
Hope the SSD is external, otherwise if you opened up the mini you might have voided the warranty.

Badger3k
Premium
Franklin, OH
said by HiVolt:

Hope the SSD is external, otherwise if you opened up the mini you might have voided the warranty.

It is. I only added RAM which I can take out and put the stock stuff back in if I have too before I take it in.
--

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
reply to HiVolt
They can't tell you have opened it up. It is user serviceable. The bottom opens and there is some 5 or 6 screws holding the logic board in place. You don't even need to remove it completely, I just slid mine out about 2 inches. The mini rocks.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Yea i never opened the new minis... my experience with opening the older ones with the dreaded putty knife procedure, you were bound to break one of those tabs...

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
The older ones had drives like the cream filling of a Twinkie, the very bottom but the new ones are super easy. I did my add a drive install using the owc kit in literally five minutes. They are awesome little machines with an ssd plus 1tb hhd

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by skeechan:

The older ones had drives like the cream filling of a Twinkie, the very bottom but the new ones are super easy. I did my add a drive install using the owc kit in literally five minutes. They are awesome little machines with an ssd plus 1tb hhd

Hahah thats a good analogy. And yeah, you had to basically rip them totally apart to get to the hard drive or the ram.
--

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
My g4 minis never went back together right. I always ended up bending the shield or something because there was always a gap in the back. My favorite was getting it all back together just to find I forgot to put the plastic airflow director for the fan back in. I moved the mini and %]#{!

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
I always wondered if all that shielding was really that necessary... it was a PITA indeed.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
FCC regs.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by skeechan:

FCC regs.

Is there a reason that PC's don't seem to have them? Or are they not necessary if the case is metal?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
That would be my assumption. The shielding is needed for FCC with the cutouts for the BT and WiFi antennas. Anything in a plastic case would need it if it is noisy enough.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to HiVolt
PC desktops typically don't have a lot of wireless cards pre-installed, either. Open a PC laptop w/ WiFi and Bluetooth and you'll see plenty of shielding.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Ah, i suppose its if its got wireless inside... yeah I have opened up pc laptops and there was shielding...

Badger3k
Premium
Franklin, OH
reply to Badger3k
So when I go down to the Apple store, will they fix it or replace it while I'm there? I've never dealt with Apple support so I wasn't sure how the process works.
--

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
They won't fix it while you wait, although if it is in a mall they may be able to fix it in a couple of hours so you could walk around.

kitsune

join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA
said by skeechan:

They won't fix it while you wait, although if it is in a mall they may be able to fix it in a couple of hours so you could walk around.

Exactly, it all depends on if they have the part in stock and what the backlog of repairs is like.

haroldo

united state
reply to Badger3k
said by Badger3k:

...I've never dealt with Apple support so I wasn't sure how the process works.

They are very agreeable when it comes to replacing anything. No hassles, no arguing, you ask and they'll do it.(IMHO)

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Same experience here although there are stories of them just saying now, as with the recent reports of Retina ghosting; some get them replaced, some bars say nope.

haroldo

united state
said by skeechan:

Same experience here although there are stories of them just saying now, as with the recent reports of Retina ghosting; some get them replaced, some bars say nope.

(just kidding, but...) Then just tell them that the screen at times gets really hot and you're afraid of a fire hazard. It's like telling the utility company "I smell gas and I have young children in the house"...they'll be at your house before you hang up the phone!

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
I'm lucky to have 4 or 5 Apple Stores local so if I ever did get bad service I could just go elsewhere. But I've been to the one in Mission Viejo (busty emo chick) and South Coast Plaza (always with a guy who looks like a 1988 Bono) and get quick fixes with both. When I had the Mac Shutdown Syndrome with an old Core Duo white MacBook they had the MB in stock and swapped it in 2 hours. With a Mac Pro that wouldn't push amperage through the front ports (would read data but not enough power to drive bus powered stuff) they replaced the PSU, both processors and the mainboard in 1 day. MacBook Pro that broke a SODIMM pin, 2 hours. The only time I waited more than a day was for a 7 year old iBook needing logic board replacement; that went to Texas and I got it back in 1 week.

Badger3k
Premium
Franklin, OH
reply to Badger3k
So I found this thread over at MacRumors »forums.macrumors.com/showthread.···16252659. Sounds like the same issue I'm hearing/having. I'll try installing that HDAPM tool and see if it stops.
--