StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:3

Iran says captures U.S. drone in its airspace

quote:
Iran said on Tuesday it had captured a U.S. intelligence drone in its airspace over the Gulf in the last few days, but the U.S. military quickly denied having lost any unmanned aircraft in the Middle East.

»news.yahoo.com/iran-captures-u-d ··· nce.html
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
did it have a painted over star of david

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium
join:2003-09-18
Lard
kudos:2
reply to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

quote:
U.S. military quickly denied having lost any unmanned aircraft in the Middle East.

Well I suppose the statement is technically correct, they haven't lost one-they know where it is. Or it didn't belong to the military......
--
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
said by THZNDUP:

said by StuartMW:

quote:
U.S. military quickly denied having lost any unmanned aircraft in the Middle East.

Well I suppose the statement is technically correct, they haven't lost one-they know where it is. Or it didn't belong to the military......

or the US millitary
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium
join:2003-09-18
Lard
kudos:2
I thought that the 'US military' was inferred but good point anyway. There are how many navies' ships cruising around the area, or oil tankers, or freighters, or even small fishing boats?
--
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
CIA
NSA
RAYTHEON FLIGHT SERVICES
BLACKWATER (or whatever they are called now)
CBS
Verizon
all non-us millitary
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

reply to StuartMW
What would be a hoot would be for the US military to cobble together a collection of unrelated, obsolete, once-black, avionic sensor instrumentation that essentially does nothing, but looks impressive. Stuff it all into a drone and cause that to wander into Iranian airspace and let it run out of fuel so it would "crash-land". It would keep the Iranians busy for months, trying to figure out what we were snooping for... longer, if they decided to copy it. And it would give their propaganda engines something to hyperventilate about as well... not to mention the puzzlement it would provide the Chinese or Russians or whichever other client state they negotiated to share the technology with.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
I've seen reports that the drone the Iranians claim they have is relatively low-tech.

I've also heard that US allies in the region fly their own drones.

Reminds me of the "little red button" in the movie The Fifth Element.

quote:
Zorg: I hate warriors, too narrow-minded. I'll tell you what I do like though: a killer, a dyed-in-the-wool killer. Cold blooded, clean, methodical and thorough. Now a real killer, when he picked up the ZF-1, would've immediately asked about the little red button on the bottom of the gun.

[Scene shifts to Aknot, who is staring in confusion at the little red button. He shrugs and pushes it]

Zorg: [Casually smokes a cigarette as the room with the Mangalores blows up] Bring me the priest.

--

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless
reply to Blackbird
said by Blackbird:

What would be a hoot would be for the US military to cobble together a collection of unrelated, obsolete, once-black, avionic sensor instrumentation that essentially does nothing, but looks impressive.

Don't forget about including the diminutive well placed GPS units to help pinpoint the exact coordinates of the lab doing the analysis.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
One would think they'd put it in a Faraday cage. Then again maybe not.
--