join:2001-11-07
Providence, RI

biggbrother

Premium Member

Crappy Install?

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
I finally had Verizon resolve an issue I had with two channels that were not coming in at various times of the day. The technician finally just ended up changing all the wiring into to the house, and everything works.

My issue is how he ran the wire up to the second floor. I am definitely not the most picky person in the world. But is this typically how a wire is run up to the 2nd floor of a single family home?

The previous tech had tucked the wiring into the corners so it was hardly noticeable. But I definitely notice this, and I hear it on windy days because the wire isn't even clipped to the side of the house. I think I will probably be calling customer service on this one...
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

Umm, I think that would qualify as a lazy tech. Should have tucked it under the edging in the corner of the house. Is there enough slack for you to be able to do it?

biggbrother
Premium Member
Providence, RI

biggbrother

Premium Member

said by kes601:

Umm, I think that would qualify as a lazy tech. Should have tucked it under the edging in the corner of the house. Is there enough slack for you to be able to do it?

Nope. I was thinking about just clipping it myself. But there is not enough slack. I think that's why he left it like that. He probably would have had to splice the cable, or swap to a longer cable, to give it more slack to be able to tuck it.

I'm thinking he miscalculated the length he needed(?)

jjoshua
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ

jjoshua to biggbrother

Premium Member

to biggbrother
Totally unacceptable.
lijacobs
join:2010-07-30
Woodmere, NY

lijacobs to biggbrother

to biggbrother
Most of VZ's techs are responsible; this one is an obvious exception. I would suggest that you post this to the direct forum - with the pictures. I'm sure that it would then be resolved. You would have to include your billing telephone no. or you account no. in order to create a ticket.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

aaronwt to biggbrother

Premium Member

to biggbrother
Wow!! That looks like a satellite TV install. Like a MasTec install. Not a Verizon install.
pittpete1
join:2009-06-12

pittpete1 to biggbrother

to biggbrother
Yup, Im a VZ tech in NY and that is a lazy tech.
At least dress it up and tuck it into the corner and use some silicone.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to biggbrother

Premium Member

to biggbrother
Im just thinking of the ways that can be fixed. I could be here all day with dozen of note pads filled with ways
15444104 (banned)
join:2012-06-11

15444104 (banned)

Lazy tech?

That is a ridiculous install. The neighborhood teenager could do a better job than that.
batsona
Maryland
join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD

batsona to biggbrother

to biggbrother
That's probably against code too... Very bad. maybe the tech accidentally forgot? Its a good thing I'm the kind of person who couldn't sleep at nite, if I did this bad a job (which is why I do good work in everything I do..)

biggbrother
Premium Member
Providence, RI

biggbrother

Premium Member

Thanks everyone. I have contacted Verizon yesterday and someone is supposed to call me to setup date to fix it. My hope is that I am home when the install occurs because I do not want them to just staple it to the siding. I want them to tuck it into either corner.

You don't even want to see the job done with the splitters in the basement. I didn't even consider calling regarding that because technically it is the basement.. but it's still quite "in your face" on the way down the basement stairs. I might post them just for kicks...

BTW.. in case your wondering, that isn't dirt or crud on my house in my pics above. Those are actually spider webs that happened just before it go cold out, and I haven't brushed them off yet.

TweakerInWA
Optimus
Premium Member
join:2001-12-11
Syracuse, NY

TweakerInWA to biggbrother

Premium Member

to biggbrother
What's the issue?, Looks nice and tight from here. I could think of hundreds of uses for that ...
pittpete1

pittpete1 to 15444104

to 15444104
said by 15444104:

Lazy tech?

That is a ridiculous install. The neighborhood teenager could do a better job than that.

Lazy tech?

Yes, he didnt want to get his ladder off the truck.
Verizon hasn't hired techs in years, so its not a new untrained guy,just a lazy tech

Acc708
join:2008-06-28

Acc708

said by pittpete1:

said by 15444104:

Lazy tech?

Lazy tech?

Yes, he didnt want to get his ladder off the truck.
Verizon hasn't hired techs in years, so its not a new untrained guy,just a lazy tech

Verizon has done nothing but hire new techs in the past 5 years. They have been hiring a lot of term employees. I don't know where you work in NY, but your facts are wrong, especially in regards to anywhere that fios has been deployed. They are rushed through training and not given the time to perform the job properly anymore. Like any industry you will have lazy people, but you have no idea if this was a lazy tech or an under trained one. One garage in Philly is nothing but new guys in the past couple of years. They were loaned to our area and let's just say the work was not what we were trained to make it look like years ago.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

Even an under trained tech should have the common sense not to have an install look like that. Anyone with common sense knows that is not what should be done.
I guess unless it's a company like MasTec. I think they train their employees to do installs like that. At least that is what it seems like.

Acc708

Acc708

said by aaronwt:

Even an under trained tech should have the common sense not to have an install look like that. Anyone with common sense knows that is not what should be done.
I guess unless it's a company like MasTec. I think they train their employees to do installs like that. At least that is what it seems like.

As the saying goes, "common sense isn't so common".

As for Mastec, I don't speak specifically for them, but contractors in general in catv tend to make very little take home unless they do slop work like that. Most of them have to throw it in and get to the next one to make any money. Everyone makes money accept for the people actually working anymore.
NJ_Brad
join:2003-07-23
Trenton, NJ

NJ_Brad to biggbrother

to biggbrother
A few of these »www.newtechindustries.co ··· lip.html would have gone a long way.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926 to biggbrother

to biggbrother
Thats hillarious, thats a typical Cable co install.
pittpete1

1 edit

pittpete1 to Acc708

to Acc708
I work in Westchester NY as a Field Tech and I know for a fact there hasnt been a Field Tech hired during or after the FIOS deployment in NY state.
Where do you work where you can be speak so arrogantly?
In fact they laid off workers 2 years ago that were hired after 2003.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926

Pete, you are correct for NY, but you have to remember, in some other states Verizon hires contractors, and the quality of work goes right down the toilet.

Acc708

Acc708 to pittpete1

to pittpete1
said by pittpete1:

I work in Westchester NY as a Field Tech and I know for a fact there hasnt been a Field Tech hired during or after the FIOS deployment in NY state.
Where do you work where you can be speak so arrogantly?
In fact they laid off workers 2 years ago that were hired after 2003.

Arrogantly? Buddy, I work Philadelphia and if you think I'm arrogant for correcting your obviously wrong comments , then so be it. Around here, there have been so many hired that the workforce for cirts nearly doubled. Perhaps instead of getting your dander up, you should go back and reread the post and realize the poster wasn't in NY state.

biggbrother
Premium Member
Providence, RI

biggbrother

Premium Member

Another tech came out on Saturday and fixed it in the rain. I will snap picks but it has not stopped raining yet. After he got his ladder, it took him 10 minutes and it looks a lot better. He was really nice and didn't look too happy with the job the other tech did. But to his credit he kept it professional and didn't really bash the guy directly to me.

I am assuming both of these jobs were Verizon employees and not contractors. They were both driving Verizon trucks, although the original tech had one of the traditional phone company trucks, whereas the second tech had one of the newer Verizon Fios vans. They both had Verizon uniforms.

Good to see that Verizon still has great techs out there!

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

said by biggbrother:

Good to see that Verizon still has great techs out there!

In my direct experience with VZ techs, *all* of them have been good. I'm responsible for two FiOS installations and I've sort of supervised several others. You had the one bad apple in all of RI.

Ok, so that last part was a facetious comment. But I think that for the most part, VZ techs in RI are professionals and they know what the word means.
pittpete1

pittpete1 to Acc708

to Acc708
Sorry tough guy, you're right I didn't realize the OP was from R.I.
R.I. is part of CWA District 1.
I'm in contact with my local 1103 President trying to find out if Verizon has hired any temps north of NY state recently.
So your saying CWA 13000 has tons of temps installing FIOS?
How long are they on for?
Any of them been hired permanently?
Like I said my bad, last person hired as a field tech was in 2003.
Still an ongoing arbitration case going on for the laid off members which could explain why no hiring has taken place in NY.