share rss forum feed

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada

1 recommendation

reply to ba1drick

Re: Asus RT-N16 as secondary router, need DHCP on both routers

Disable DHCP on the Asus... Assuming the Linksys is .1, statically assign the WAN address of the Asus as .2 (just for the ability to access and manage - actually does nothing for the traffic).

Use DHCP reservations or static assignments outside the DHCP range of the Linksys for the cameras...

No problem...

ba1drick

join:2004-07-01
Baraboo, WI
So you are suggesting LAN-LAN, which I already tried, turning Asus to slave/dummy.

I still don't know how would I assign static IPs using Linksys.
On Asus running Tomato, it's super easy, where one menu shows all discovered MAC addresses and you can add IPs right away.

1. How would Linksys "see" cameras that are discovered by Asus?
2. How should I manage SSID's and channels?

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
I'm not familar with that specific router, but the Googe-Fu is strong today...

»content.etilize.com/User-Manual/···1888.pdf

Page 25 is DHCP reservations.

If the SSID's and WiFi are working through the Asus right now, I'd probably leave it alone, myself... No use fixing what isn't broken.

As for 'seeing' the cameras - if DHCP is disabled on the Asus - the Linksys will answer the DHCP requests from the cameras, assuming they are setup for DHCP now. Are they, or are they static?

ba1drick

join:2004-07-01
Baraboo, WI
Right now, all 6 wireless cameras have static addresses set up on tomato/Asus settings. 192.168.1.111, *112, *113, etc. Every unique MAC address is assigned it's own IP address.

They have to be static in order to work with multi camera software on laptop and to work through no-ip or similar DNS service, so camera footage can be seen online (away from the house) or on smartphone.

This is the exact setup I have myself at my home, except I am using just 1 router and set up was a breeze.

tcg
Premium
join:2003-09-12
Lubbock, TX

1 recommendation

reply to ba1drick
Yes, if you connect a LAN port on the Asus to the switch, which is connected to the Linksys, disable DHCP on the Asus and assign the Asus an IP, you have effectively turned the Asus into an access point. The Linksys will see any wireless devices connected to the Asus router.

However, look at the documentation for the Asus. A Netgear router that I have here (wnr2000v3) has you use the WAN port for the connection, if you use the firmware that is inbuilt for the AP configuration. But it works fine using the steps in the first paragraph for configuration.

Technically, you don't assign static IP's for the cameras on the Linksys, you do it on each camera. Use IP's that are outside the DHCP scope (on Linksys routers, this scope ordinarily starts at .100)