kudos:5
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Callcentric
·VOIPO
·CIKTEL Telecom

1 edit
reply to J E F F

Re: [Voip.ms] How difficult is it to set-up a VoIP?

said by J E F F:

I'll be doing ATA...

You've mentioned an ATA in at least two of your posts ... so I assume you already have an ATA. If so, what type of ATA (make and model) ... and was it originally from Vonage? If from Vonage, you will not be able to unlock it ... but one of our members (DogFace05) does have the ability, for a small and reasonable fee, to unlock a Vonage adapter over the internet.

Voip.ms, Anveo and CallCentric (the latter in spite of a recent unprecedented of double whammy from a DDoS attack and Hurricane Sandy) would all fit the bill for a "low" price (reasonable) BYOD provider with excellent service, support and features.

With Voip.ms, for example, using let's say 500 incoming and 500 outgoing minutes per month (which is actually quite high for routine home usage) ...

Monthly Plan        PAYG Plan
Monthly charge                 $4.95                   99¢

Monthly E911                    $1.50               $1.50

500 incoming min.               none               $5.00     (at 1¢/min)

500 outgoing min.              $2.50               $2.50     (at ½¢/min with Value Plan used by 90% of customers)

Monthly totals                  $8.95              $9.99

I am not sure as to whether or not Voip.ms is currently charging HST ... but there are no additional fees or surcharges.

-=--=-=

If you have a PAP2 or PAP2T and wish to check on its provenance (i.e., Is it counterfeit or genuine?), enter the MAC number shown on the bottom of the unit at this site: »voipfan.net/other/fakepap2.php

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
No, I don't have an ATA yet. Another user PM'd me recommending Anveo, however, I need to figure out which ATA to get since I have no plan on using an IP Phone which seems to be their main thing.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

grand total

join:2005-10-26
Mississauga
kudos:2
Any provider supports IP phones or ATAs or softphones on your computer for that matter.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Good to know, I'll likely try for a Cisco...

Mango
What router are you using?
Premium
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net
kudos:13
Reviews:
·AcroVoice
·Callcentric
·Anveo
·Shaw
May I recommend as another option for your consideration an OBi ATA? Though the Cisco PAP2T and SPA2102 are excellent ATAs, they are built on old technology. The OBi ATAs were built by the same engineers that built the PAP2T and SPA2102 and have many advantages, such as a more powerful dial plan and better DTMF and echo handling.

The new Cisco SPA112 and SPA122 were not based on the PAP2T and SPA2102. Most users of these ATAs don't recommend them due to firmware bugs and/or poor performance.

m.
--
Dear Obihai, please fix the FXS to FXO Relay in the OBi110. Add this as your signature if you agree!

Mango
Premium
www.toao.net
reply to J E F F
double-post.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
reply to Mango
I looked at the OBI's but they are not e911? Unless I was looking at the wrong page...

Mango
Premium
www.toao.net
I did not learn from my mistakes and double posted again.

Mango
Premium
www.toao.net
reply to J E F F
I do not understand your question. You can certainly dial 911 with an OBi ATA, if that helps. (That is - assuming your service provider offers 911 and you subscribe to it - most do.)

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

1 recommendation

reply to J E F F
said by J E F F:

I looked at the OBI's but they are not e911? Unless I was looking at the wrong page...

What do you mean?

911 service is done by your VoIP provider. it is not related to your ATA choice.

Perhaps what you mean is that many people use an Obi device to connect to GoogleVoice (by an indirect method because GV itself does not endorse the direct provision of dialtone) and [GoogleVoice] does [not] have 911.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Mango
Okay...I was looking at the graphic and it said "No Emergency Calls"...

»www.digitalcon.ca/obistore/
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Mango
Premium
www.toao.net
I'm not sure why they put that there. Liability reasons perhaps, or the reason that PX Eliezer gave.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to PX Eliezer7
said by PX Eliezer7:

said by J E F F:

What do you mean?

911 service is done by your VoIP provider. it is not related to your ATA choice.

Perhaps what you mean is that many people use an Obi device to connect to GoogleVoice (by an indirect method because GV itself does not endorse the direct provision of dialtone) and [GoogleVoice] does [not] have 911.

Okay..I think I get it....
Planning on doing this at christmas time when I have a couple hours off. I am reorganizing the whole section of basement for the UPS, Router, ATA, etc. Hopefully I'll have a nice looking setup!
--

Mango
Premium
www.toao.net
Post pictures when you're done.

JJ_GTA
Premium
join:2009-04-01
Ontario
reply to J E F F
You still get call display on your TV if you use an ATA device.

Trev
IP Telephony Addict
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC
kudos:6
said by JJ_GTA:

You still get call display on your TV if you use an ATA device.

How?

In BC, I have Telus "Optik" TV (aka TV over my dsl connection) and after some thorough experimentation I determined that the Caller ID information is sent directly from Telus' servers to my set top box which then displays it on screen.

This packet appeared to be encrypted and only honoured if it came from the expected source (Telus). I was not able to find a way to trick it by sending my own packets.

The fact that the Caller ID data comes over the network directly from Telus is further confirmed by the fact that the *moment* my Telus line starts to ring the name and number are displayed. On POTS, this information isn't transmitted on the line until between the 1st and 2nd ring.
--
Wondering what I do? Find out at »www.digitalcon.ca
Get your Obihai ATA in Canada.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Mango
said by Mango:

Post pictures when you're done.

I will..pretty sure it will look simply to compared what some people have!
--

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to JJ_GTA
I'd like to know how that is possible, I have Rogers VIP cable and that is part of the package when you have their home phone service. it's handy when you get telemarketers calling you...."IGNORE!"
--

JJ_GTA
Premium
join:2009-04-01
Ontario
I was thinking of my Satellite box which has a phone line connection to provide CallerID. If your Rogers TV box is getting CallerID from the cable line then it wont work. Only if it is a phone line connection.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to Mango
said by Mango:

I'm not sure why they put that there. Liability reasons perhaps, or the reason that PX Eliezer gave.

The notation "No emergency calls" would seem to refer to the Obitalk [service] rather than the Obi [device].

The Obitalk [service] is built in, and allows Obitalk users to call each other as well as make a harrypottering connection to GoogleVoice.

Of course, 911 service can (and usually should) be arranged through a VoIP provider....

....or through Trev's service.
»www.digitalcon.ca/voip9-1-1/home.html

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to JJ_GTA
Once my Rogers cable is up for renewal, I might go that route, but I am getting an incredible deal on cable right, just the ROD is worth the price!
--

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Callcentric
·VOIPO
·CIKTEL Telecom
reply to J E F F