uniqs
Sentinel
Premium Member
join:2001-02-07
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

Printer reccomendations please

Looking to get a basic printer for my daughter. I would like to get her a basic printer, scanner copier type thing. Doesn't have to be too fancy but I don't want to cheap out on her either.

Any one have good luck with a printer lately?

*Easy stable drivers. (not tons of stuff constantly running in the background that can conflict with other things)
*Good quality printing.
*Reasonable cost ink cartridge replacements.

Suggestions and experiences appreciated.

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy

MVM

How much are you looking to spend?

Do you want/need color?

I recommend laser over ink if you can afford it. If you need color it starts to cost too much.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to Sentinel

Premium Member

to Sentinel
I have a HP 4620 all in one that I really like. It's got everything you're looking for and its wireless. Costs about $100.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus to Sentinel

Premium Member

to Sentinel
Your standard monochrome printers are great for speed, and cost per page, however you might have a little sticker shock at the toner cartridges which last a very long time compared to inkjet.
bt06437
join:2001-12-03
Carrollton, TX

bt06437 to Sentinel

to Sentinel
You might look at the cost of the ink cartridges of whichever brand you are narrowing your choice to; that helps me with the selection process.
I go with Canon.

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to Sentinel

Premium Member

to Sentinel
I have an HP Officejet 8600 and it is great. It is much better than most of the lower end all in ones that I have seen and had. It has 4 separate ink cartridges that last forever. I think you can buy the printer for around $150-200 now. When I bought it last year it was closer to $300.

FizzyMyNizzy
join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

FizzyMyNizzy to Sentinel

to Sentinel
I vote for a 3D printer.. but thats just me. =D

Hagar
join:2004-10-31
Sunnyvale, CA

Hagar to Sentinel

to Sentinel
Daughter going to college? Just had two of mine that did that.

My solution was no printer, use the printers provided by the collage. I did it to avoid the hassle not to save money but they used much less than I expected.

Juke Box
His Word Never Fails
Premium Member
join:2001-01-29
Psalm 96 ESV

Juke Box to Sentinel

Premium Member

to Sentinel
I second the HP Officejet 8600. HP ePrint is very useful.
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

Thanks all.
She does need color. She needs one thing to do it all as space is limited.
Looking t spend in the $100 to $200 range, but I prefer to spend as little as possible

From my initial research it seems as though the HP's are the way to go as far as initial price and future ink costs.

Thanks for the suggestions on the 4620 and the 8600. I'm checking those out along with the 6520. All seem to be wireless which is nice, and do the same print, scan & copy.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

1 recommendation

PeteC2

MVM

The benefit of an albeit modestly more expensive model such as the HP OfficeJet 8600 (It comes in 3 "flavors", but operationally, they are pretty much the same), the key advantages are cost per page of print and durability.

Price per page of print on the 8600 series beats that of most other ink jet printers as well as almost all laser printers. The 4600 is a decent printer, but ink costs will be somewhat higher. The 6520 series falls in the middle.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to Sentinel

MVM

to Sentinel
I have an HP Officejet 4500 (G510g-m) All-In-One that I bought new for ~$40 on sale some time ago at Newegg. It doesn’t have wireless support but it does have wired network functionality. For my use built in wireless is unnecessary because I just connected it to my network and it effectively had wireless from there (via WAP). ePrint isn’t specified but I can still print from mobile devices (iPad / HP Touchpad) so no problem there either.

Cost per-page can be a big deal but if you’re not doing a large volume of printing it may not mean as much.
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel to PeteC2

Premium Member

to PeteC2
Thanks for all your help and guidance guys. I am off to the store to compare.

Looking closely at this one as it seems to fall in the middle of every group...
»www.shopping.hp.com/en_U ··· -Printer
Fat City
Premium Member
join:2003-03-10
Freedonia

Fat City to Sentinel

Premium Member

to Sentinel
This site was a good source of info when I was looking for a new All-In-One last year. It has reviews, comparisons, printer specs, and 'best of' lists.

»www.printerinfo.com/

pro7070
BJ "The Prodigy" Penn
Premium Member
join:2002-06-28
Inman, SC

1 recommendation

pro7070 to Sentinel

Premium Member

to Sentinel
»www.qualitylogic.com/Con ··· -US.aspx

This page helped me choose a Brother MFC-J825DW which uses the LC75 series ink cartridges which I buy aftermarket for about $3.75 each and work flawlessly for me. You either pay now or later when it comes to inkjet cartridges. I bought a Canon printer from Walmart for $40 and the replacement ink cartridges were $23 dollars each. I did a little research this time around.
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel to Fat City

Premium Member

to Fat City
Thanks guys. I will check them out.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to pro7070

MVM

to pro7070
Which is why I used to consider printers disposable. I used to get a cheap HP printer for ~$30 or ~$40 and when the ink ran out it was cheaper to buy a new printer again,... Refills work too though,...

The HP Officejet 4500 changed that for me because it really is a nice bit of kit and was really cheap too at the sale price.

I did want to try that HP printer with the built in Android tablet though,...

pro7070
BJ "The Prodigy" Penn
Premium Member
join:2002-06-28
Inman, SC

pro7070 to Sentinel

Premium Member

to Sentinel
Here's a great deal on a BrotherĀ® MFC-J430w for $60. It's sold out online but your local Office Depot might have them in stock.

»www.officedepot.com/a/pr ··· jet-All/

Replacement ink cartridges LC75
3 color 2 Black $15
»lasertekservices.com/2-l ··· 753.html

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
join:2000-06-18
Waynesville, NC
·Carolina Mountai..
Synology RT2600ac
Linksys E2000

Jan Janowski to Sentinel

Premium Member

to Sentinel
We've been a HP user for years. Literally beat a Laserjet 4+ and Deskjet(s) to death. About 2 years ago, when both failed after long hard life, bought an Epson Workforce 840 for home office, because of the available cash I had at the time.
After a Driver and Program upgrade, it Does everything.

We use the large size 3rd party Ink in it (multiple cartridges) and it works out nice, even for photo printing.

Even though I have a long history with HP, I'm happy with it: I'd do it again.

Only issue I've encountered is I get weekly emails from Epson trying to sell me ink.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

PhoenixDown to Sentinel

Premium Member

to Sentinel
Ive become a big fan of the Brother all-in-one units.

tr6scott
join:2002-03-23
Oxford, MI

tr6scott to Sentinel

to Sentinel
Just a quick note about the wireless, you may not be able to use in the dorms. In the last couple of months, I have heard of two colleges, that have clamped down on wireless networks in dorms.

Back to sneaker net.

AlphaOne
I see
Premium Member
join:2004-02-21

AlphaOne

Premium Member

Regarding the HP wireless printers, you can connect to it directly without any network.
Not sure if all of them has it, but the once I saw have their own access point so you can print to it directly.
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

Yes. According to the manual it is possible to print directly to printer wirelessly with no access point.