uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

[WIN8] WinPCAP not compatible with Windows 8

This is an ESSENTIAL application. Anyone know when WinPCAP will work with Windows 8?

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
I don't know anything about this application, but I did find this link. Maybe it will help you.

»blogs.msdn.com/b/kaushal/archive···rtm.aspx

Thanks,

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Mele20
If you need winpcap for network sniffing with wireshark, then Microsoft's Network Monitor is in my opinion superior(*) to wireshark and likely works with Windows 8.

»www.microsoft.com/en-us/download···&id=4865

(*) because it has more accurate analyzers for the specific protocols I care most about.

auggy
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON
kudos:18

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20
The following update is available via Windows Update and for "WinPcap V 4.1.2" "Enables the application's functionality":

»support.microsoft.com/kb/2764462

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to Mele20
http://microsoftarena.net/winpcap-on-windows-8-how-to/
said by auggy:

The following update is available via Windows Update and for "WinPcap V 4.1.2" "Enables the application's functionality":

»support.microsoft.com/kb/2764462

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to Mele20
Thanks everyone!

I guess that update auggy See Profile linked to is so new that Microsoft support is not even linking to it yet. I got a Microsoft page last night when I tried to install WinPCAP saying it was incompatible with Windows 8 and told me to contact digital river about it but what I should have gotten was Microsoft linking me to the update that solves the problem.

I installed the Microsoft update and then WinPCAP installed with no problem. I need it mainly for Ping Plotter Pro (but I also use Wireshark which I have not yet installed on Win 8).

I have to restart Ping Plotter to see if it is available now for Ping Plotter to use and I don't want to do that yet as Ping Plotter wasn't saving correctly yesterday and I don't want to lose what ping results I have currently. But it should work ok. Sometimes, I need to use Ping Plotter's TCP engine and that is what requires WinPCAP (which I have been using since its first beta release back in 2005 I think it was when I was a beta tester for the first Ping Plotter Pro).
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to dave
said by dave:

If you need winpcap for network sniffing with wireshark, then Microsoft's Network Monitor is in my opinion superior(*) to wireshark and likely works with Windows 8.

And here is example of exactly an opposite experience. I've installed v3.4 today on remote server. The goal was to watch very small traffic (a packet per minute or so) between that remote server and another host To watch traffic I assess server via Remote Desktop. In order to be able to watch that traffic I have to apply very simple filter:
IPv4.Address == IP.ADD.RES.HST

As it turned out, I can't use it, because it becomes so CPU intensive, that CPU is at 100% all the time I watch it... When I close RD window, CPU gets down to approx 60%, but still too high...

I'm using Wireshark in the same environment (and with similar filter, of course) for a long time and I have never seen it happened. When I watch it via RD CPU is about 10% max. So, I guess I have to uninstall NetMon from that server (as I already did many years ago testing some earlier version) as useless in that environment.

The purpose of this post is to share yet another experience with program and attempt to tell, that there is certainly a room for its improvement...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...