uniqs

kljflower
Premium Member
join:2001-03-19
Tipp City, OH

kljflower

Premium Member

[Help] Microsoft PictureIt Platinum - anything like it for Win 8

I've been using PictureIt for years but it won't run on any Windows version past XP and my Windows XP computer finally gave up the ghost so got a new computer with Windows 8 - talk about a learning curve! There are a bunch of Win 8 photo apps but so far, nothing I've found has all the features of PictureIt. The cloning tool, picture resizing, edge patterns, and blank greeting card templates are what I need.

I tried using Microsoft Publishing from Office 2012, but the card templates do not make the least bit of sense to me. I tried Photoshop Elements a long while back and it didn't seem user friendly and would need a class.

Is anyone familiar with photo editing software that runs on Windows 8 that has cloning tool and blank greeting card templates? Thanks very much in advance!
29886823 (banned)
join:2005-03-29

29886823 (banned)

Re: [Help] Microsoft PictureIt Platinum - anything like it for W

Usually you can ask win 7, and possibly win 8 to run applications as if they were running under earlier OS. If you locate the application go to properties and choose the compatibility mode you want.

SueS
Premium Member
join:2007-05-16
Macon, MO

SueS

Premium Member

said by 29886823:

Usually you can ask win 7, and possibly win 8 to run applications as if they were running under earlier OS. If you locate the application go to properties and choose the compatibility mode you want.

This does not work, it will not install.

altermatt
Premium Member
join:2004-01-22
White Plains, NY

altermatt to kljflower

Premium Member

to kljflower
Have you tried GIMP, which is free? The latest version, I believe, is 2.8, and I THINK it works on Win8. I'm a lover of PSP version X and still run it well in XP, but I, too, am probably facing the demise of my Win8 desktop in the foreseeable future, and so have been looking around myself.

SueS
Premium Member
Macon, MO

SueS

Premium Member

I use GIMP, but I much preferred PictureIt. With GIMP there are no background templates, everything must be done from scratch. Microsoft offers backgrounds, borders, photos, etc though their website to download for personal use.

I have a printer that prints borderless, and I could not use that feature with PictureIt, and I can with GIMP.

I have decided next year I am going to have all my cards printed elsewhere. They have the software to design and print.

Chuck22
Premium Member
join:2003-11-10
Salt Lake City, UT

2 recommendations

Chuck22 to SueS

Premium Member

to SueS
said by SueS:

said by 29886823:

This does not work, it will not install.

If you have Windows 7 Professional (or Ultimate), you can run a complete version of Windows XP in a virtual PC. You can download the virtual PC from Microsoft site (it's free), then download the XP mode to run on that virtual PC.
I had to do this in order to run Fo2PiX ArtMasterPro which will not run on Windows 7 or on its "run applications as XP".
Haven't tried it with PictureIt, but I think it should work okay.

SueS
Premium Member
Macon, MO

SueS

Premium Member

Thanks Chuck, this is good information for the OP.

I have decided to move on as mentioned in my other post, but I did miss PictureIt for a while. I have been without PictureIt since Windows 7 release.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to kljflower

Premium Member

to kljflower
I have no help. I just wanted to say I have never heard of this software from MS.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay to kljflower

MVM

to kljflower
PhotoScape is a good program, but in all honesty, I don't know if it would work for you. I will soon find out myself as our system is getting older and older and will definitely fail one of these days.

»www.photoscape.org/ps/ma ··· ndex.php
bgraham2
join:2001-03-15
Smithtown, NY

bgraham2 to kljflower

to kljflower
Tech info and instructions on Win8 compatibility mode. How to run XP apps in Win8.

»www.online-tech-tips.com ··· ndows-8/

»www.eightforums.com/tuto ··· 8-a.html

kljflower
Premium Member
join:2001-03-19
Tipp City, OH

kljflower

Premium Member

Thanks for all these suggestions - I'll try the running as XP mode -
Sue, when you say you're having them printed and they have the design software, is that an online source? Thanks!

SueS
Premium Member
Macon, MO

SueS

Premium Member

Yes! You can personalize greeting cards with your photos using their software and have them printed. I am pretty sure it will be cheaper than printing with your home printer. In some cases you can have the prints sent to your home store to avoid shipping costs. I think it is worth looking into.

sfogliatelle
We Is Whut We Am
Premium Member
join:2002-05-29
Baton Rouge, LA

1 recommendation

sfogliatelle to kljflower

Premium Member

to kljflower
I too liked and became very familiar and comfortable with Picture It. It came with a Works Suite with my first computer.

You are not alone in lamenting the difficulty in running it on current Windows systems. There are many dissatisfied users.

Microsoft suggests: Microsoft Picture it application has been discontinued. However, you may download & use Windows Live Photo Gallery.

To download Windows Live Photo Gallery, refer to this link:
»explore.live.com/windows ··· ed?T1=t1

This article from Yahoo Answers might be of some help:

"There was a lot more software for fun projects until Windows XP came along then everything seemed to get serious. When Vista replaced XP the fun programs disappeared. I started with Picture It!, too. It was great for a beginner. There are very few programs - if any - out there right now for the truly beginning photo taker who wants to play with and have fun with their photos while creating things.

I wish I could list a dozen project-oriented photo programs for you but I haven't found many for today's computers. Broderbund's Printmaster is about the only all-in-one piece of software left and it's not really designed for much detailed photo editing. I switched to Printmaster for a short while after giving up Picture It! - and while trying to climb the learning curve of Photoshop 7.
»www.broderbund.com/c-6-d ··· nt.aspx"