StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

Where do your backup tapes go to die?

quote:
But with offsite storage comes loss of physical control. You hire a reputable, but not too expensive, records company to pickup the tapes, and store them at what you hope to be a secure facility. So I was a bit surprised to find a drum full of backup tapes dumped into an alley close to my house.

»isc.sans.edu/diary/Where ··· e+/14632

bolt
End of the line DSL sucks.
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Charlestown, IN

bolt

Premium Member

We once tied the end of a 2400 foot tape to a car while someone held the spool with a screwdriver through the hub. You could feel the drag from the tape in the car. When it hit the end of the spool, it jumped up about 30 feet in the air and traveled about 100 feet or so. I think we got up to 45 or so before we hit the end of the tape. I wish we had the plethora of cameras to record it like we would now. This was in the early 80's.

joselso
@netvision.net.il

joselso to StuartMW

Anon

to StuartMW
I would like to reorient this thread towards the major dilemma of tape backup: Unlike Windows 2000 and XP and their Server equivalents 2003 and early versions of 2008, the current Windows 7 family does not include RSM = Removable Storage Management, and therefore cannot backup to tape media without an external application.
I inquired and I seem to conclude that only a unique version of Acronis, i.e. Acronis Backup & Recovery Advanced Workstation (current version 11.5) is described as capable of dealing with tape media when installed on Windows 7 .
Are there other suitable backup applications, intended for end-users with desktop/workstations, and not depending on server and network in the background, for backing up Windows 7 system image and files and data locally to tape media?
Expand your moderator at work