spc
Search similar:

uniqs

manam
@cogentco.com

manam

Anon

[Home Phone] charges from Rogers after porting number

I just recently ported my number from Rogers to another company. the date was set (with 30 day notification) and the actual porting was completed on November 19. The technician from Bell removed the digital equipment as well. So, my understanding is that I was no longer with Rogers after Nov 19 and, therefore, I can not be charged after that date. However Rogers is telling me that technically I was their customer until end of November and I had to pay from Nov 19-Nov 30.
Can someone please help me how I can approach this issue and not letting Rogers charges me for this.
technocar2
join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON

technocar2

Why did bell tech remove rogers equipment, bell has no right to remove any of rogers rental equipment, you have to return the e-mta to rogers by a certain date. The fact that a bell tech removed the e-mta does not mean your services with rogers are automatically cancelled. Rogers services are cancelled from the backend on a specific date that a rep should have given you, and then you simply have to return any rental equipment, in this case its your e-mta that you have to return.

A bell tech cannot change a rogers cancellation date. Rogers is right; if it was a 30 day notification then until that 30 day period is up you are still a rogers customer even if you could't use rogers services because its bell that interfered with rogers equipment.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Pardon? The OP said he gave 30 days notice for November 19 (i.e. on or before Oct 20) so Rogers has no right to charge him until the 30th. The only requirement is 30 days notice. Not "to the end of the billing cycle after 30 days notice", nor "to the end of the next calendar month after 30 days notice" ... just 30 days.

By "removed the digital equipment", I'm going to presume he meant disconnected and made it available to be returned to Rogers. Some Rogers techs have the habit of fixing the MTA to a chunk of wood if they can.
technocar2
join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON

technocar2 to manam

to manam
I thought the port happened somewhere in the middle of the 30 day period, never mind then.

I always thought ports are supposed to be done before the last day to make sure the number is still assigned to the account, looks like it was done on the last day then if in fact November 19th was the last day of the 30 day period. Yes in that case the op is not responsible for anything after Nov 19th.
Samgee
join:2010-08-02
canada

Samgee to manam

to manam
Can you clarify what you mean when you say Rogers is telling you you must pay past the 30 day mark? Was that what your final bill said, or what someone told you when you called?

When I finally cancelled all my accounts with Rogers, they billed me past my 30 day notice point, but the charges that were between the 30 day point and the end of the last billing cycle (which overlapped the 30 day mark) were credited back once I returned the equipment on that day. I just called and told them I was done and to get the final billing amount.

If you called them and they told you that despite cancelling and returning the equipment on the 19th (if indeed you did) that you still owe until the 30th they are incorrect and you need to escalate to a supervisor. If they still won't correct your bill, contact the CCTS. »www.ccts-cprst.ca/

manam
@teksavvy.com

manam

Anon

I already returned the MTA and there is should not be any issue with that.

As for the charges, I already paid for the period of Oct 18-Nov 17, and I also had my new ported phone line activated on Nov 19. So, I believe I have to pay for a day or two (Nov 18-19). The latest statement (Nov 18-Dec 17) shows the full payment but when I called to know about the final payment after adjustment I was surprised to hear that I will be charged for about 10-11 days past the day that number was ported. After talking to a few Rogers customer care agents and supervisors and that they were not able to explain why, finally a Rogers account manager told me because Rogers was notified on Nov 1 about the porting the 30 day notification starts on Nov 1 and ends on Nov 30. As a result, I have to pay from Nov 18 to Nov 30 because, according him, I was still "technically" with Rogers even though the number was ported on Nov 19!
I have to mention that I didn't personally call to Rogers for porting. it was done by the current provider for the reason of not having the number cancelled instead of porting.
I don't know who to put the blame on but definitely something didn't go well in the process of porting.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

This happens all the time. When you port your number, the day Rogers receives the port request from Bell is the day your 30 days notice period begins. Even though you don't have access to those services from Rogers, they use their TOS to justify charging you for those full 30 days even though you can't use the service. The only way you'll get the charges waived is to file a complaint with the CCTS, and even then it's not guaranteed that they will side with you. But it's certainly worth a try, because usually no one at Rogers will budge on this policy.
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR to manam

to manam
When I ported my number from Rogers to voip.ms, I followed voip.ms' advice not to cancel until the port was completed. That day, I phoned Rogers and they just cancelled my service - in fact I'm pretty sure she told me that the port automatically cancelled the service, though I had to return the MTA. They'd stop charging me as soon as it was returned, so I returned it that same day. All ended there. Even got an automated phone call from Rogers the next morning saying that I had to return the MTA if I hadn't already done so to ensure I would not keep being charged.
ghatreh0
join:2011-09-23

ghatreh0 to yyzlhr

to yyzlhr
yyzlhr:
May I know what "TOS" stands for?
Thanks

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx

TOS= Terms of Service

The unethical, immoral and quasi-legal doctrine Rogers employs to subjugate, humiliate and terrify customers into submission during dispute resolution.........which of course you must agree to in order to receive Rogers services.
Samgee
join:2010-08-02
canada

Samgee to manam

to manam
You can always try your new provider and ask them why there was a delay with them initiating the number port. They may give you a credit equal to the number of days Rogers is still saying you owe.
LostTheGame
join:2012-11-24
Ottawa, ON

LostTheGame to sbrook

to sbrook
said by sbrook:

Pardon? The OP said he gave 30 days notice for November 19

...No they didn't; OP just said he gave 30 days and the port was completed on the 19th

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Normal use of English would imply that he had given 30 days notice for a Nov. 19 port date. Now it seems that didn't happen, but not from his doing, but from the behaviour of the company he ported to.

manam
@cogentco.com

manam

Anon

The 30 day notification I asked for was on Oct 18th and to my knowledge the porting order was submitted to Rogers on Oct 19th and the porting was done on Nov 19. The reason I chose Nov 19 was to meet the Rogers policy. So, there is no doubt that I followed the Rogers' TOS as far as 30 day notification was concerned.
Also, the day of porting there was a technical glitch during porting and I contacted Rogers to see if there is any issue from their end and I spoke to two supervisors (at two different times) and none of them expressed any issue and they told me porting should go through because everything is fine. The glitch was resolved after a few hours. I assume if there was something wrong they would have informed me.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning to manam

to manam
When we port out from any of Bell/Rogers/Cogeco, etc., we simply do it right away and give the customer a free month of service to compensate. Saves a lot of headaches, and a month of annoying calls from the Bell/Rogers/Cogeco retentions department.

One really rotten situation was when we ported a customer who had less than 30 days left on their Bell contract - Bell charged them $100 early termination fee on their Internet and $50 on their phone. The amount of the remaining service was less than that.

All the big carriers stick it to you when you leave. Something needs to be done about it.