J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704

Re: [Voip.ms] How difficult is it to set-up a VoIP?

said by PX Eliezer704:

said by J E F F4:

I looked at the OBI's but they are not e911? Unless I was looking at the wrong page...

What do you mean?

911 service is done by your VoIP provider. it is not related to your ATA choice.

Perhaps what you mean is that many people use an Obi device to connect to GoogleVoice (by an indirect method because GV itself does not endorse the direct provision of dialtone) and [GoogleVoice] does [not] have 911.

Okay..I think I get it....
Planning on doing this at christmas time when I have a couple hours off. I am reorganizing the whole section of basement for the UPS, Router, ATA, etc. Hopefully I'll have a nice looking setup!
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

Post pictures when you're done.
JJ_GTA
Premium Member
join:2009-04-01
Ontario

JJ_GTA to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
You still get call display on your TV if you use an ATA device.

Trev
AcroVoice & DryVoIP Official Rep
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC

Trev

Premium Member

said by JJ_GTA:

You still get call display on your TV if you use an ATA device.

How?

In BC, I have Telus "Optik" TV (aka TV over my dsl connection) and after some thorough experimentation I determined that the Caller ID information is sent directly from Telus' servers to my set top box which then displays it on screen.

This packet appeared to be encrypted and only honoured if it came from the expected source (Telus). I was not able to find a way to trick it by sending my own packets.

The fact that the Caller ID data comes over the network directly from Telus is further confirmed by the fact that the *moment* my Telus line starts to ring the name and number are displayed. On POTS, this information isn't transmitted on the line until between the 1st and 2nd ring.

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to Mango

Premium Member

to Mango
said by Mango:

Post pictures when you're done.

I will..pretty sure it will look simply to compared what some people have!
J E F F4

J E F F4 to JJ_GTA

Premium Member

to JJ_GTA
I'd like to know how that is possible, I have Rogers VIP cable and that is part of the package when you have their home phone service. it's handy when you get telemarketers calling you...."IGNORE!"
JJ_GTA
Premium Member
join:2009-04-01
Ontario

JJ_GTA

Premium Member

I was thinking of my Satellite box which has a phone line connection to provide CallerID. If your Rogers TV box is getting CallerID from the cable line then it wont work. Only if it is a phone line connection.

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

Once my Rogers cable is up for renewal, I might go that route, but I am getting an incredible deal on cable right, just the ROD is worth the price!

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium Member
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL

N9MD to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4

Classic basement VoIP wiring setup

Modern VoIP Setup
Perhaps this will be of help.