uniqs
share rss forum feed

xKrNMBoYx

join:2012-11-21
Ozark, MO

1 edit
reply to xKrNMBoYx

Re: [CenturyTel] Problems with CenturyLink and maybe a Modem rec

Alright I'll just give an update to my situation. After a few more emails and a call with CenturyLink I received an email saying they will stop charging me fees for the modem and refund the fees we paid for the modem so far. As far as the performance of the internet goes it's about the same.

I have noticed one problem. The internet disconnects from the internet sometimes when we get calls on our land line (centurylink phone.) From what I remember this occurs when phone's are connected to the rj-11 or phone lines without adapters. Well I checked all of our phones that connect to the rj-11 ports and they all have adapters. We had this issue with our old modem about a year ago, but after double checking the phone connections and adapters the problem went away.

The only thing that may causes this is what kind of adapters I am using. The original adapters plugged into one rj-11 port. The adapter itself split into two (internet and phone.) Well the adapters that came with the new modem did not have "split" ends. They only had a slot for internet.

Can anyone help?

.:edit:.

I would also like some suggestions on something else. I have a dual band wireless router that is capable of 300mbps for each band. I'm not using it currently because I have yet to bridge it with my modem, and do not have any dualband adapters yet. I've also been researching on powerline networking.

I know that powerline can be "iffy" depending on how your house is wired up. Although I live in a semi-country area there has been an tremendous increase in wireless activity/setups in my neighborhood. I remember from my home I could only detect about 4 other wireless networks just a year or two ago, but now there are ten to twenty more networks. I'm afraid that the amount of networks will reduce the performance of mine due to overlapping channels or other things. What should I do? We can still stream videos, and play games decently currently. I'm trying to avoid decrease of performance.

I'll explain are usual usage. We are a family of four. Several hours a day 3-4 of us are streaming good quality videos. At the same time 2-3 us are browsing the internet. One of us uses skype with 1-8 people while playing a online game like League of Legends or Maple Story. All of this happens at once usually. For our expectations the internet performs well enough, but online gaming is a bit weak with high ping, and occasional disconnects with skype. Do you think using the 5GHz band or a PowerLine setup would help the people using Wireless. We've gamed on wireless for a few years now, but everywhere I read about gaming recommends wired internet.

What do you guys feel is a better choice? Getting Dual-Band adapters or a Western Digital Powerline setup? For the dual-band adapters I would purchase two rosewill adapters which will cost me $59.98. The Western Digital powerline setup will cost me $59.99.