Premium Member
join:2003-10-21
Long Island

sailor to footballdude

Premium Member

to footballdude

Re: Unnamed Chiefs player commits suicide at team facility

said by footballdude:

Deadspin posted a couple of emails from a person claiming to be Belcher's friend. He said Belcher has a long history of alchohol abuse

That is it right there....he was an alcoholic....as long as he was sober for practice and the game what he did other times wasn't really a concern....he was a so called functioning alcoholic.

Excessive nightly drinking and combining that with taking prescribed pain medication due to his occupation and adding to those two ingredients having handguns at his disposal can and often will lead to extremely irrational behaviour...which sadly in this instance proved fatal.

He was an All-County player in the same county I reside in and everyone who knew him during high school will tell you he was a very kind person...but along his path the drinking started...then the excessive drinking and on and and on.

And in this country excessive drinking is still not taken seriously unfortunately.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by sailor:

And in this country excessive drinking is still not taken seriously unfortunately.

It's taken as seriously as it can be. Do you just start locking up people with addiction problems for their own good?
sailor
Premium Member
join:2003-10-21
Long Island

sailor

Premium Member

said by Draiman:

said by sailor:

It's taken as seriously as it can be. Do you just start locking up people with addiction problems for their own good?

No its not...if it was taken seriously we would not have repeat drunk drivers on the road eventually ending up seriously injuring and even killing others.

If we would just enforce the penalties already on the books for drunk driving would show being serious about it but anywhere in the US if you are popped for drunk driving you can, if you have the cash, hire a local connected attorney and get your drunk driving charge reduced to a driving while impaired charge....just a slap on the wrist...

That is why we have so many repeat offenders...they have no real fear of facing any harsh consequences for their selfish actions of getting shit faced and then getting behind the wheel....

When there are fatalities involved due to a drunk driver background checks often will reveal a prior drunk driving charge. But pay a fine, attend a drunk school and your right back in no time driving once again....

The U.S., especially professional sports, glamorize drinking....but they never show or educate those they are trying to appeal to the dangers of excessive drinking..

Instead its just "This Bud's for you"

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

1 edit

Draiman

Just throw everyone in jail and throw away the key! I mean my uncle lost his license for 1 year the first time and 1 1/2 years the second time yet he still managed to try to commit suicide 6 times over a 10 year period finally succeeding the last time. There's not much you can do no matter how 'serious' you are. If you apply this to the actual thread we are discussing a driver license suspended wouldn't have changed anything! No idea what a DUI or DUI punishment has to do with addiction or even this thread since there was no DUI. As much as I love the failed sidebar discussion I'd much rather stick to the thread topic. DUI stuff can be covered in a new thread if you want to start one.