Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8

Blue Tweets

Click for full size
So, I'm seeing a lot more emphasis on GC's twitter account. Most of the stuff is "whatevs", but I just don't think this guy understands why we roll alts.

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

I know why I roll alts, 22 of them right now. Grinding rep on more than a couple is/was painful. Got the Tiller trinket to give 100% bonus and it makes a big difference.

I don't see why you have to grind it out on more than one toon. How would having rep be account wide make a difference? I mean in a way that it would not be desired? If I've taken the time to grind the rep once, what is the benefit in making me do it 21 more times? The 100% bonus after the first time is acceptable to me.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ¯ Robert A. Heinlein

Skittles
Premium
join:2011-03-31

said by Kilroy:

I know why I roll alts, 22 of them right now.

I know too...... Kilroy is a brain in a jar that controls the internet.

Feralmordius

join:2011-01-18
reply to Immer

I would say they are just calculating leveling alts into their playable content even though in our eyes it just repeating old content.
Lol
"But what are you going to do on that character if it has everything the main does, Just Raid?"

The cross realm raiding answer was quiet lame also. He should of just went with "we want your money".
--
Tiermordius on Nathrezim Server (US)
Main Tank for Pride and Ego

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA

yeah... unless they are actually looking for guilds to grow right now. They seem to think that limiting alts, and using CRZ to make solo-questing horrible, and preventing cross-realm current raids will strengthen guilds. Only for high-pop servers, blizz...

and I really hated that response the most from GC.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Immer

"Just concerned that if we make alts too trivial to progress that we lose [MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY]"

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Immer

GC is such a dick.

It's really starting to show that that guy has been doing that job too long.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2
reply to Feralmordius

said by Feralmordius:

The cross realm raiding answer was quiet lame also. He should of just went with "we want your money".

Yeah, epic lame. Obviously the dude twitting or whatever doesn't give a shit about guilds...he wants to know when he can raid current tiers cross realm with his buddies.

Easy fix...add the option to pay $2.95 or some crap extra a month to raid current content cross realm.
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV

said by McBrain:

said by Feralmordius:

Yeah, epic lame. Obviously the dude twitting or whatever doesn't give a shit about guilds...he wants to know when he can raid current tiers cross realm with his buddies.

Easy fix...add the option to pay $2.95 or some crap extra a month to raid current content cross realm.

Why would they charge $2.95 for that, when they can easily charge $25.00 per server transfer instead?

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor

How many people do you think would be willing to pay $2.95 extra a month for that option??

I just spouted off an arbitrary number, but the point is that it's a marathon not a sprint...

$2.95/mo x 8 million for 1 year = $283,200,000

283,200,000 / $25 = 11,328,000 server transfers to equal $2.95/mo for 8 million subs.
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV

said by McBrain:

How many people do you think would be willing to pay $2.95 extra a month for that option??

I just spouted off an arbitrary number, but the point is that it's a marathon not a sprint...

283,200,000 / $25 = 11,328,000 server transfers to equal $2.95/mo for 8 million subs.

If Blizzard knew they could make more money off charging $2.95 to enable cross realm raiding for current content, they would have done it long ago.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA

we might be over simplifying their business model a tad...

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
reply to Ghastlyone

Well maybe I just went all Ben Stein on them...

Skittles
Premium
reply to McBrain

said by McBrain:

That assumes 8 million people would pay that. 8 million wow subscribers do not raid. Still there is money to be had. I agree GC seems like he is just phoning it in. His answers are short because of the medium I understand, but a little thought could go into them. He just doesnt come across as someone who care about complaints about this expansion.

Feralmordius

join:2011-01-18
reply to McBrain

This also doesn't take into consideration that the transfer fee is toon based where the other seems like it would have to be account based.

Also with the one time fee of 25$, when that user wants to raid with another realm's guild he would then have to pay another 25$. So if one user moves his toon and back that is 50$, which would take over a year on the subscription plan.
--
Tiermordius on Nathrezim Server (US)
Main Tank for Pride and Ego

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor

You're right, but $50 isn't pocket change. The fact that someone would have to pay that amount to move and move back is the largest deterrant there is for people who consider transferring but decide against it.

However that marginal monthly fee will kill them softly, like Chinese Water Torture.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to McBrain

said by McBrain:

Where did you draw your 8 million conclusion from?
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor

Arbitrary, bro. Arbitrary.

It was a guess that 80% of current subscribers would choose the option.

Even if it were half that (4 million), it's still be over 5.5 million server transfers to equal the $141.7 million they'd make in a year from the added monthly fee.
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19

And how much would it cost for them to engineer this solution? How much would it cost them to support the solution when it's out? How much would time would the invest in paying staff to answer support calls related to it?

Why do you think 4 million people would ever want to pay an increase in monthly subscriptions when the current model for gaming for the last several years has been geared towards micro-transactions?

Are there even 4 million raiders? How many of them would actually want to do it? What about raid IDs? How would that get handled? You could snatch up someone else's raid ID from cross-realm servers?

I think that cross-server raiding would be nice. I think that being able to raid with alliance friends would be nice. I think it should come out as a feature in a patch or an expansion. Blizzard already charges more than anyone else for an MMO.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

Threatco

join:2011-04-19
Moncton, NB
reply to Immer

I roll alts for something to do.

I am not going to grind rep on him. If that means he's not as raid geared as my main, so be it, that's fine.

I still get gear, I do heroics sometimes, pug raids sometimes, cap my conc points each week. Alts are fine as is, rep gear is not mandatory for alts imo. If you WANT to grind it, go for it.

I do kind of wish my alts could ride cloud serpent though, they can ride everything else. Seems like a dumb exception.

Me on my rogue. "Hey guys, check out my cool Glory of the Pandaria Hero achieve! Yeah, and it has this wicked cool mount that comes with it too! Show you? Well... I can't. I don't have serpent riding on this alt. But I assure you it is most epic!"

Skittles
Premium

said by Threatco:

I do kind of wish my alts could ride cloud serpent though, they can ride everything else. Seems like a dumb exception.

I agree, you can ride the red drake on all toons and it required exalted with Wyrmrest Accord to purchase. But because my alts didnt bandage enough draklings, kill enough wasps, cook enough fish cakes they were out in the cold on the Cloud serpent.
gg Blizz. This is a dumb expansion glad I quit, hope this next is better.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
reply to Threatco

said by Threatco:

I roll alts for something to do.

I am not going to grind rep on him. If that means he's not as raid geared as my main, so be it, that's fine.

I still get gear, I do heroics sometimes, pug raids sometimes, cap my conc points each week. Alts are fine as is, rep gear is not mandatory for alts imo. If you WANT to grind it, go for it.

This is how I feel it as well. I know gear progression will be slower on my alts and I am cool with that.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO
reply to Ghastlyone

said by Ghastlyone:

GC is such a dick.

It's really starting to show that that guy has been doing that job too long.

That's exactly what I thought when I read that. He might as well have just answered every question with 'because I say so'.
--
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

Threatco

join:2011-04-19
Moncton, NB
reply to Immer

GC Answer "You may think XYZ but I hear plenty of people saying ABC and since we can't ever make everyone happy this is how it is going to be"

I am glad that upgrade mean that I don't need rep to make use of VP.