spc
uniqs
harald
join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH

harald to rsaturns

to rsaturns

Re: Contractor Work

If this is new drywall, why was an old work box used? And why wasn't the K & T replaced?

No, not right.

rsaturns
join:2004-12-06
Beaverton, OR

rsaturns

So that was a question I had, is that cloth covered wired K&T? I wasn't sure, I know it certainly isn't romex or anything I've seen in modern construction.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to harald

MVM

to harald
said by harald:

If this is new drywall, why was an old work box used?

I'm sure there has never been a remodel where a box hasn't needed to be added or moved after the drywall has gone up...

And why wasn't the K & T replaced?

And you can tell that is k&t by looking of a picture that doesn't show the knob or the tube. You're x-ray vision is better than mine. If my reading of

Even if it is K&T, Section 394 of the 2011 NEC says that K&T is still permitted for extending current circuits. It's usually recommended to be replaced, but it doesn't have to be.

It can also be cloth covered "romex" which had a rubber insulator under the cloth. It's not obvious where the bare copper wire is coming from in the picture. Unless it's from the new wiring and not connected to anything, it's probably not K&T as K&T didn't have a ground. Cloth covered romex may or may not have a ground wire included. As long as the rubber insulation isn't brittle and falling off the wire, the cloth romex can continue to be used IIRC.
harald
join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH

harald

Please see the original post, where it is stated that the original wire was to have been replaced, whatever it might have been.

I have never seen wire like that other than K & T, and I got through engineering school doing old work. (not counting commercial, where you might find building wire in conduit like that.)

Yes, there are often needs for an old work box, but note that this box was allegedly installed before the drywall, and was subsequently relocated by running a cable to what was likely an old work box.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by harald:

Please see the original post, where it is stated that the original wire was to have been replaced, whatever it might have been.

No where does the OP say that the old wire was replaced. It says that the area was rewired. This could mean that existing wiring was attached to new wire.

I have never seen wire like that other than K & T, and I got through engineering school doing old work. (not counting commercial, where you might find building wire in conduit like that.)

Here you go. Now you can't say that anymore.

Yes, there are often needs for an old work box, but note that this box was allegedly installed before the drywall, and was subsequently relocated by running a cable to what was likely an old work box.

The OP said that paneling was taken down along with the plaster and lath and drywall put back up. That doesn't mean that was the case with this wall. Or that they didn't screw up the placement of the box where it's at. ("Hey Bob, we forgot that there was suppose to be a light switch here, so I put a box here." "You're an idiot John, the box was really suppose to go over there").

We can play arm-chair electrician all day but with what is posted and what we know for sure, nothing definitive can be decided. If the OP has questions about the work, he should ask the electrician or the general contractor who's doing the work. There is absolutely no problem asking:
a. why was old wiring used
b. if it was k&t
c. why was an old box used (not that it really matters anyways)