join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
ARRIS DG1670

1 edit

pcdebb

Premium Member

[419] my brother got a check today.....

Click for full size
my brother woke me up earlier than i'm used to because he was all excited about what he received in the mail today. As bad as he could have used the money, my good training made him suspicious enough to make a call and find out what the real deal was. I'm a little confused tho. All he received was the check. There was no letter stating he won a billion dollars, etc, it was just the check. I guess they are getting sloppy or just lazy, or expect people will just try to cash the check anyway. I'm also a little concerned that the package had to be signed for. My brother called the number on the envelope and got no answer, not sure if that was a good idea either.

I'm posting this more for tracking and FYI purposes.

the "sender":
bafil ali
110 great st
san diego ca 92101
619-398-0707

DanHo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-20
Seattle, WA

DanHo

Premium Member

No such place as 110 great st in San Diego as far as I can tell.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to pcdebb

Premium Member

to pcdebb
You had him call the credit union and confirm it's fake?

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to pcdebb

Premium Member

to pcdebb
I see that the check was issued by Money Gram.

Who have you contacted so far?

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL

pcdebb

Premium Member

He contacted the bank and they told him it was fake. Who exactly he contacted I'm not sure since there a lot of info on the check
pcdebb

pcdebb

Premium Member

I was on my way out to work when I finally got a look at everything, but I was able to see that the address was made up, and usps tracking says it originated from Ohio. I got no hits on the name so I can assume that's made up too.

What phone calls can be made at this point? I'm sure he wasn't the only one to get this, and someone thinks Christmas came early

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

Snowy

Premium Member

said by pcdebb:

What phone calls can be made at this point? I'm sure he wasn't the only one to get this, and someone thinks Christmas came early

You should call your local postal inspector.
Their easy to talk with & they will be interested.
goonierag (banned)
join:2003-07-18

goonierag (banned) to pcdebb

to pcdebb
the phone number belongs to HR Beer Conpany Inc. in San Diego,CA.
So would let them know their phone number is being used in a 419 scam.
jp16
join:2010-05-04
united state

jp16 to pcdebb

to pcdebb
»www.fdic.gov/news/news/S ··· 034.html

Looks like an old scam has come back to life...
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to pcdebb

to pcdebb
said by pcdebb:

He contacted the bank and they told him it was fake.

I doubt it's fake as it says it a "Official Bank Cheque". Come on, how much more proof do you need of it's authenticity.
kill200
join:2005-02-17
Chicago, IL

kill200

Actually, it says "check".
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

As check is a verb, as in "I will check on his well being or that was a wicked check the hockey player bestowed in the corners" then they should brush up on the proper use of the King's English.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium Member
join:2012-10-18

Blogger to pcdebb

Premium Member

to pcdebb
So what exactly is the scam here? What are the gains to be had by the issuer of the bad check?

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by Blogger:

So what exactly is the scam here? What are the gains to be had by the issuer of the bad check?

None in this case. It was a stupid scammer that left out the scam detail letter.
said by pcdebb:

All he received was the check.

Umitencho
join:2012-08-11
Jacksonville, FL

Umitencho to Blogger

to Blogger
Usually its one of those wire transfer scams. They have the victim cash the check and wired them a portion of the money. Later on, the bank brings fraudulent charges against the victim since they cashed a fake check and money they didn't have while the scammer pockets the money and disappears in anonymity since they typically can not be found. The victim now has a debt and a possible felony on their hands. I almost got caught up in one of these scams but luckily my mother works for a bank so she caught it.
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned)

I just do not understand why they always hold a victim responsible.

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by 47717768:

Because the victim has broken the law by depositing a fraudulent check even though they didn't write the check. The victim did withdraw the money from the bank on the account that is in the their name. If the victim were to wait until the check fully clears (up to 15 days) then this type of scam would no longer work and the victim would not end up with a severely overdrawn account.

JustBurnt
@rr.com

JustBurnt to 47717768

Anon

to 47717768
said by 47717768:

Who should they hold responsible?

I am pretty sure after their investigation and(if?) they find the "victim" wasn't involved they wouldn't press charges and possibly only take back funds not sent to the scammer.

This type scam isn't new by any stretch, older than widespread Internet usage as a matter of fact.

Too many are blinded by the dollar signs.

Many here are familiar with the Horse Ranch scam.
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned) to Doctor Olds

to Doctor Olds
said by Doctor Olds:

said by 47717768:

Because the victim has broken the law by depositing a fraudulent check even though they didn't write the check. The victim did withdraw the money from the bank on the account that is in the their name. If the victim were to wait until the check fully clears (up to 15 days) then this type of scam would no longer work and the victim would not end up with a severely overdrawn account.

Right. But what if victim did not know it's a scam?
But JustBurnt has already explained.
scelli (banned)
Four More Years!
join:1999-08-07
FLOT/FEBA

scelli (banned) to 47717768

to 47717768
said by 47717768:

They don't always hold the victim responsible and it's a gross exaggeration to claim so. However: Here's just one reason why those in the justice system can do so on pretty solid legal ground should the powers that be choose such a course:

Ignorantia juris non excusat

(Latin for: Ignorance of the law does not excuse.)
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

1 recommendation

peterboro (banned)

said by scelli:

said by 47717768:

They don't always hold the victim responsible and it's a gross exaggeration to claim so. However: Here's just one reason why those in the justice system can do so on pretty solid legal ground should the powers that be choose such a course:

Ignorantia juris non excusat

(Latin for: Ignorance of the law does not excuse.)

A more appropriate term is "willful blindness" or “conscious avoidance,” and it first surfaced in case law in 1861 in Regina v. Sleep. This is common law we use here in Canada which come from England.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

Kearnstd to Doctor Olds

Premium Member

to Doctor Olds
said by Doctor Olds:

said by 47717768:

I find it sad that in 2013 it can take up to 15 business days to clear a check.
harald
join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH

harald

That depends upon what one means by "clear". A deposited check is credited to my account very quickly, and is debited from the maker's account almost as quickly because the physical check no longer goes to the maker's bank.

The fifteen (or onger) days coems about because it may take the maker that long to discover the fraud and file a complaint.

I bet most folks here look at their accounts regularly. Not all do, especially businesses. So in that context "clear" means that the maker's window to protest has closed.

Not to lecture you - I'm sure you knew all this, but some readers may not. The second meaning of "clear" is the well spring from which most of the Nigerian frauds spring.

Best regards,

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to scelli

Premium Member

to scelli
Ignorance that the check is a fraud =/= ignorance of the law
scelli (banned)
Four More Years!
FLOT/FEBA

scelli (banned)

said by AVD:

Are you agreeing or disagreeing that a person should be held responsible?
scelli

scelli (banned) to peterboro

to peterboro
...and it first surfaced in case law in 1861 in Regina v. Sleep. This is common law we use here in Canada which come from England.

And a good law it is, peterboro.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to scelli

Premium Member

to scelli
said by scelli:

said by AVD:

I'm just saying your position about ignorance of the law is not relevant.
scelli (banned)
Four More Years!
FLOT/FEBA

1 recommendation

scelli (banned)

said by AVD:

said by scelli:

said by AVD:

I'm just saying your position about ignorance of the law is not relevant.

Then I will defer to the more nuanced response offered by peterboro.

Either way you cut it: A person who knowingly/unknowingly breaks the law by cashing a check that proves to be fraudulent had better be able to explain the reasons for their actions. It's called being held accountable for one's own actions, a trait sadly lacking these days in a society where all too many individuals are devoid of such an understanding.