uniqs
share rss forum feed

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
reply to digiblur

Re: [AZ] Amp vs no Amp readings

Like I said the drive format is NTFS, and I put money on it your drive isn't that format. As it's a known issue with the tomato firmware, when using a USB HDD that is formatted NTFS.

jsmiddleton4

join:2003-11-13
Glendale, AZ
I have been trying to test it and see if there is a slow down. Running into some *heads on linksysinfo though. Not sure why testing this and seeing if the proposed solution, setting the sendfile parameter in the smb.conf file, increases NTFS transfer performance.

None of which has anything to do with my AMP, no AMP matter however.

One of the forum Cox guys checked my lines, modems, and the AMP is staying off line for now.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Well I know it's off topic, but yeah there should be a way to speed up the transfer rate's when using a NTFS usb HDD. As transfer rates are good on the stock asus firmware at around 12-14MB's range. I just know putting Shibby's firmware on the N66U, using my NTFS drive, and trying to transfer stuff to the drive, I get poor transfer rates of about 3MB's. Sadly If I remember correctly I asked Shibby about this on linksysinfo via PM, and didn't get no where with a solution to this problem. As I would probably use his firmware, but as of now 12-14MB's vs 3MB's using my NTFS HDD, there is no question I will stick with using Merlin's build.

digiblur
Premium
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana
said by lilstone87:

Well I know it's off topic, but yeah there should be a way to speed up the transfer rate's when using a NTFS usb HDD. As transfer rates are good on the stock asus firmware at around 12-14MB's range. I just know putting Shibby's firmware on the N66U, using my NTFS drive, and trying to transfer stuff to the drive, I get poor transfer rates of about 3MB's. Sadly If I remember correctly I asked Shibby about this on linksysinfo via PM, and didn't get no where with a solution to this problem. As I would probably use his firmware, but as of now 12-14MB's vs 3MB's using my NTFS HDD, there is no question I will stick with using Merlin's build.

Dunno what format it was, I believe it was NTFS though as I have several drives to swap in and out of the docking station. I got over 10mb a sec and was smiling like a kid in a candy store as the router just became a true all in one device. Merlin's wouldn't work as it was lacking features I required.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Well Merlin replied to a post I made on linksysinfo regarding using a NTFS drive, and he said asus use a better NTFS driver, and that tomato uses a open sourced NTFS driver. Which has a rather poor performance in transfer rates, and suggested using ext3 format drive, if using tomato. The next drive I get I will make sure to format it ext3, current drive I will just use Merlin's build as it's pretty good, but does lack some added features tomato offers.

jsmiddleton4

join:2003-11-13
Glendale, AZ
I use the free EaseUS to format drives in EXT3. Easiest way I've found.

For me and my application/setting I'm sticking with Merlin's FW.

I like the fact that it is able to easily move back and forth between Asus stock firmware and his custom firmware. Have to send the guy a buck or two this payday.

It also is not only stable, its on the growth side of the bell curve. Tomato has just about run its course for features. I'm sure they could add a few more but it has so many now not sure what else they could add.

At this point Merlin is where the early Linksys/Tomato/DD-WRT stuff was a couple of years ago. Just beginning.

And I've been around Tomato a LONG time.