spc
Search similar:

uniqs
pkorx8
join:2003-06-19
San Francisco, CA

pkorx8

doesn't stop anyone

This doesn't stop anyone from using Google Voice from the normal web interface or using one of those Google Voice-compatible VOIP boxes on their 1G/1G connection.

buddahbless
join:2005-03-21
Premium

buddahbless

Exactly As the first thing I thought of was one word... OBIHAI !

for those who dont know... »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· -NA-_-NA

Ive been using this with google voice for quite some time and it has not failed me yet.

Interesting story, An old friend did once say to me in a conversation... "will it does not have 911 service!" As he was on Vonage and had that included and a vonage sales rep used that as a ploy to keep him as a customer as he was debating switching to google voice. I just replied.. "well everyone in my household has a cell phone with 911 service and most have the GPS enables so hypothetically they can pinpoint where we are without even needing to tell the operator a physical address, so I think were covered." I then replied.."does not everyone in your house hold own a cell phone as well?"
Needless to say on his fixed income He soon started saving $25 plus taxes a month.

However to each his own if you dont want Google voice because theres no 911 theres always Nettalk ( which I previously used) Magicjack ( had them before nettalk), & etc...
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

Although more than 98% of 911 call centers - including major metro areas- do NOT have GPS tracking on cell phones. They can see your number but not your location. To obtain that location would take time and some man work with the phone companies. And then you don't even get an address, you get an "area" off the cell tower.

buddahbless
Premium

buddahbless

Not Really because Ive had them pin point my area before when an accident happened to a vehicle traveling in front of me that hit a dear on a empty highway, it did not take them more than a few minutes( 10 mins +/-) thats with calling my cell provider, I knew what road I was on but had no idea how far In I was on it. Now its not as fast as having a physical address pop up on the 911 operators screen when theres a home emergency but they are still able to find you rather quickly if needs be. Also if your at home I'd hope you know your own address anyway to give to A 911 operator ( exception to small children) in case of an emergency. It really depends on what system is in use in what part of the country and "area" pin pointed me down to with in 500 yards in the case I spoke of.
travelguy
join:1999-09-03
Bismarck, ND
Asus RT-AC68
Ubiquiti NSM5

travelguy to buddahbless

to buddahbless
I use an ObiHai device with Google Voice for free outbound calls, a Google Voice local number forwarded to a free Callcentric DID for inbound calls, and a $1.50/month Callcentric 911 service.

Aside from a short period of Sandy induced disruption, it works very well.

jfleni
@bhn.net

jfleni to buddahbless

Anon

to buddahbless
There are dozens, if not scores, of places to get very reasonable IP telephone service. Only an IP telephone (about $25 and up) connected directly to the router or computer is needed. This avoids conversion from old analog phones, and their crappy audio.

Google surely knows this; they should publish a list of companies that offer this service. Eventually somebody else will if they don't.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to buddahbless

to buddahbless
And that's what i said. But thanks for reposting . As i said, most of the country is NOT upgraded to e911's 2nd stage of updates. it stopped with caller id.

Also not many people can remember their own name in an emergency let alone their address. I was attacked one night outside of my house. I could get back to my door, but couldn't figure out what key to use to get inside, nor remember my name and address. I had a landline then and was greatful for it as 911 was able to find me. With my cell, no so lucky, even in major metro areas.

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

Napsterbater to TBBroadband

MVM

to TBBroadband
said by TBBroadband:

Although more than 98% of 911 call centers - including major metro areas- do NOT have GPS tracking on cell phones. They can see your number but not your location. To obtain that location would take time and some man work with the phone companies. And then you don't even get an address, you get an "area" off the cell tower.

Definitely gonna need a citation on that.

For Instance last report I saw for GA stated all but 3 counties has E911 Phase 2 , And now 1 of of those has been upgraded since then.

1 requirement of E911 Phase 2
"Wireless network operators must provide the latitude and longitude of callers within 300 meters, within six minutes of a request by a PSAP. Accuracy rates must meet FCC standards on average within any given participating PSAP service area by September 11, 2012"

tc1uscg
join:2005-03-09
Gulfport, MS

tc1uscg to TBBroadband

to TBBroadband
said by TBBroadband:

E911. It works and has nothing to do with GPS. Not as close but darn close and enough to get help on the way. Once your call routes to your PSAP, it's the phone companies system that provides your location and unless the 911 op knows what they are doing, most use to not go to the proper screen to obtain this info. It's not the same field as the persons address. I've done hundreds of 911 test calls during my years with Sprint and 9 times out of 10, I had to 'remind' them to go to the next page/screen to see my location. Which in the beginning, was the address to the tower that i was connected to. Those kinks have for the most part, been worked out.

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

Napsterbater

MVM

said by tc1uscg:

said by TBBroadband:

E911. It works and has nothing to do with GPS. Not as close but darn close and enough to get help on the way. Once your call routes to your PSAP, it's the phone companies system that provides your location and unless the 911 op knows what they are doing, most use to not go to the proper screen to obtain this info. It's not the same field as the persons address. I've done hundreds of 911 test calls during my years with Sprint and 9 times out of 10, I had to 'remind' them to go to the next page/screen to see my location. Which in the beginning, was the address to the tower that i was connected to. Those kinks have for the most part, been worked out.

It can use GPS, in fact early on Verizon Opted for GPS while ATT opted for Cell triangulation, both had pros and cons but I'm sure its changed and can use a combination of methods to get the information.

buddahbless
Premium

buddahbless to TBBroadband

to TBBroadband
your example only shows just the difference in persons you and I are, as I have been in an emergency situation before and I was able to rattle of the address of the friends house I was at and give it to the 911 operator and what was happening right in front of me. Then again you live in Toledo you may want to consider moving to a safer area.

please cite your source and show me where the 98% its not operational at as for one I know its available in most of FL.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to pkorx8

Premium Member

to pkorx8
said by pkorx8:

This doesn't stop anyone from using Google Voice from the normal web interface or using one of those Google Voice-compatible VOIP boxes on their 1G/1G connection.

THIS, and its unregulated from a wireline provider point of view. Plus, its probably not a money maker