addp009
Premium Member
join:2003-03-08
Kitchener, ON

addp009 to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt

Re: Christmas Promotion

Okay so what's the pros/cons of going to dealers vs directly from Teksavvy.

I want to switch to Cable from DSL dryloop, but the cost of new activation + new cable modem cost doesn't make a good ROI. A deal like this makes it a lot more attractive.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

1 edit

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

Oh, I didn't notice, is it really $45 off activation? Now that I don't understand... Are they getting much cheaper modems from a third party then? Or are they subsidizing the activation cost some? Is Teksavvy cooperating some to improve the subsidy? I think Teksavvy will give cheaper prices if you buy a lot of modems at one time, but I don't know how that mixes with the activation discount.. I wish they'd tell me this stuff

Anyway.. Pros cons? I've never dealt with them specifically, they might be fantastic or completely absent. I don't think you'll ever save more than $40 or so one time, and no savings on the monthly fee. What service are you looking at?

addp009
Premium Member
join:2003-03-08
Kitchener, ON

addp009

Premium Member

Looking at Cable 18. The monthly cost is still lower than DSL 6 mbps + dryloop fee.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

said by addp009:

Looking at Cable 18. The monthly cost is still lower than DSL 6 mbps + dryloop fee.

So the real issue is what modem you want on that service. Unless money is tight (or you are really frugal, or whatever), you should probably get a Docsis 3 so you'll be forward compatible with new speeds that should be coming soon. At the same time, Docsis 3 is a lot more expensive, and Docsis 2 is okay for 18mbps.

Your costs should come to something like:
Service (Express 18 300GB) $39.95
Activation $65.00
Subtotal $104.95
HST $13.64
Total $118.59
Modem $35 or $75, no tax.

For a total of either $153.59 (docsis 2) or $193.59 (docsis 3). If you can beat those all in costs, you are doing very well.