spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Donut
join:2005-06-27
Romulus, MI

Donut

Who gives a shit

There are tons of VoIP providers. Aint like you have a cap to worry about on Google fiber.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

but so many on here love to bitch about regulations and how they are bad.
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon to Donut

to Donut
Yeah, I already use Ooma and will continue to when getting GFiber next year. More and more households use cellphone only anyway.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to ArrayList

Premium Member

to ArrayList
And yet some of these regulations apparently have prevented Google from providing a heavily regulated service that the incumbents want to get away from. We seemingly blast the ILECs daily for pushing for deregulation, why not blast Google for not wanting to play the overly restrictive game?

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

I look at it like this. The incumbents wish they could get out of the game, but they can't.

They all want to play the game to a different set of rules, and that is fine. POTS should be heavily regulated. We need something like that that is reliable. That said, I will never buy it if I can help it. The only companies that don't like that are the ones that do everything in their power to keep me from using other services that they think should be regulated in a similar way to POTS.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

said by ArrayList:

POTS should be heavily regulated. We need something like that that is reliable.

Then we need to man-up and throw a bunch of money at it (I am NOT advocating that, BTW). As the number of subs decline, maintaining an aging infrastructure becomes very expensive and wasteful.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

Is it the job of the government to prop up all regulated industries that cannot figure out how to make a profit? I'm not saying that POTS shouldn't go under if it is profitable, but if it isn't profitable, it should go under.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

If governments are going to impose the regulations and not allow businesses to stop providing services if/when they become unprofitable, then yes.