All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

ba1drick
join:2004-07-01
Baraboo, WI

ba1drick

Re: Asus RT-N16 as secondary router, need DHCP on both routers

Also, out of curiosity (I won't be able to test anything for few more days), what would happen if DHCP was disabled on primary (Linksys) router and enabled on secondary (Asus) router.

What would happen to devices plugged into Linksys?

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

said by ba1drick:

Also, out of curiosity (I won't be able to test anything for few more days), what would happen if DHCP was disabled on primary (Linksys) router and enabled on secondary (Asus) router.

What would happen to devices plugged into Linksys?

Unless I am mistaken: The computers that are not setup to use a Static IP (DHCP) will not be able to access the net.

By mistaken, for example: The Asus router can tell the DHCP clients, to use a different Default Gateway other than Asus router's LAN IP.

ba1drick
Baraboo, WI

ba1drick

In short:

1. With Linksys DHCP turned off, will Asus (DHCP on) see what's plugged into Linksys (wired) or in wireless range of Linksys? If so, I can give them static IPs from Asus.

2. Would that would mean that I don't need the extra Cat5 run from Asus back to Linksys, turning Asus into my primary router?

clarknova
join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova to ba1drick

to ba1drick
Good news. Looks like you can put Tomato on the Linksys: »tomato.groov.pl/download ··· -Max.bin

It appears that Tomato (at least shibby and teddybear builds) don't support changing the default gateway in the dhcp server, so you'll have to keep dhcp on the gateway router. Maybe that doesn't matter now that you'll be installing Tomato on the Linksys.

The advantages to placing a router between the cameras and the other devices are 1) broadcasts will not pass the router. Probably not a concern in this setup, and 2) a router can put some security between the attached networks. Also not a concern from what you've told us, since the client will be viewing the cameras from outside anyway.

The disadvantages to running the RT-N16 as a router is increased complexity, including more port forwarding (NAT) setup and more dhcp administration. Based on what you've told us I would recommend installing Tomato on the E1200 and leave the RT-N16 in AP mode.
clarknova

clarknova to ba1drick

to ba1drick
The show-stopper problem with using the ASUS as your DHCP server is that the clients will get the ASUS as their default gateway, and therefore not have access to the internet. Maybe you can change that in the shell, but not in the GUI.

If you really want the ASUS as gateway without moving it, then you have two plausible options, 1) run another wire to it, or 2) get a vlan-capable switch to replace your switch. Put the modem's LAN port and ASUS's WAN port on an isolated vlan, then put the ASUS's LAN port and all your local hosts on another vlan. Put the E1200 in AP mode and disconnect it from the modem. Connect its LAN port (or WAN, if bridged) to the LAN. This second solution is logically equivalent to running another wire.

ba1drick
Baraboo, WI

ba1drick

I thought I checked with Shibby's website before (as that's what Asus is running) and he lists E1200v1, not v2. Not sure how much difference there is, I guess it's worth emailing him, as having 2 routers with Tomato should make things way easier.
»tomato.groov.pl/?page_id=69
BTW, DD-WRT clearly distinguishes v1 and v2.
»www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/inde ··· g.2Fn.29

OK, so lets scratch the idea of swapping DHCPs and wait what Shibby will tell me on v2.

I agree, running the wire would fix everything, but it's hell of a job (concrete block walls, ton of joists, store area, crappy suspended ceilings). I will do it if that's the only option left. I will take a look on how the wire was fed by the installer when i have a chance.

clarknova
Grande Prairie, AB

1 recommendation

clarknova

Yeah, it's not listed there, but it's listed here:

»tomato.groov.pl/download ··· -series/

I don't know if I would bother running a wire. For reasonable outlay you can get a GS108E and just do the vlan thing with existing wiring.

ba1drick
Baraboo, WI

ba1drick

Great catch! Thanks!

OK, so Tomato goes on Linksys for sure. What's the best way to set them up now with 2 Tomato-powered routers? I might actually use that exact same setup at my own home too.

clarknova
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova

I think your current setup (in the diagram) is best. Install Tomato on the E1200 and put the ASUS in AP mode. Set up static reservations for the cameras, and port forwarding in the E1200.

ba1drick
Baraboo, WI

ba1drick

1. Would it make any sense to set up Asus to run in N-mode only (as all cameras are N) to max the range/quality on them?

2. Then, would it bother Linksys if it's running mixed or G only and SSID is same on both routers? (so, with same SSID, can one router do N and other mixed or G?)

1 camera is closer to Linksys and will probably connect to it rather than to Asus (if Linksys is running N or mixed)

3. And finally, are there any Tomato-specific options I can use here to my advantage?