share rss forum feed

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to leibold

Re: The renovation continues ... today new 400 amp service!

said by leibold:

Shouldn't it get cheaper if you buy in bulk ?

The more you use, the bigger their capacity has to be. Whether they buy more off the grid or build larger generating capacity.

There was an article here quite some time ago where the NSA was building a data center (spy center) in CO where they will us $45M a year just for electric. I forgot how many of 100,000s of square feet it is going to be. Needless to say, they will have there own sub station ....

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to pandora

said by pandora:

Tomorrow the first of 2 new 4 ton 18 SEER Goodman heat pumps is going to go live.

Would anyone mind if I snapped some shots and started a new thread about that?

No sir, I wouldn't mind at all. Looking forward to reading all the nitpicks from the armchair tradesmen.

kilovolt

join:2011-01-11
San Francisco, CA
reply to pandora

I think the scarier part is what pandora's monthly electric bill looks like. Ouch.

I guess we all choose what we want to spend our money on...I prefer to spend it on skiing in Colorado or snorkeling in Hawaii

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

said by kilovolt:

I think the scarier part is what pandora's monthly electric bill looks like. Ouch.

I guess we all choose what we want to spend our money on...I prefer to spend it on skiing in Colorado or snorkeling in Hawaii

THAT is an excellent point. We do not take expensive vacations, most of our time and cash is invested in home, including entertainment.

Some prefer to travel, after the TSA, and as I grew older, home became my preferred vacation spot. I'm happier here than in any hotel. Got an 8 person hot tub, 3.5 bathrooms, 3 of them with Jacuzzi's. Lots of high tech toys to play with, and a number of pets.

I'm happiest at home with my family, they so far seem to feel similarly.
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
reply to tschmidt

said by tschmidt:

Well that was 30+ years, a direct lightning strike, and two kids ago and the transformer is still going strong. It will probably still be there after I'm in the ground.

And full of PCB's...
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
reply to kilovolt

said by kilovolt:

Indeed. Our hydro rates are so complex I can't even give a comparison. We have three segment Time of Use, delivery charges, debt retirement charges, temperature compensation, discounts and more. And Smart Meters.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

1 edit
reply to DKS

said by DKS:

[And full of PCB's...

Unlikely, but not impossible.

The transformer was installed in 1980 when we first moved onto the property. This was around the time of the big PCB scare. I was assured the transformer did not contain PCB. Utilities were going through a big replacement phase at the time so I have no reason to doubt the accuracy of that statement.

In the US manufacture of PCBs was banned in 1980. According the the EPA PCB use in transformers ended in 1977.

»www.epa.gov/reg3wcmd/ts_pcbs.htm

But your post prompted me to double check so I submitted a request to our utility.

/tom

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to kherr

said by kherr:

said by leibold:

Shouldn't it get cheaper if you buy in bulk ?

Needless to say, they will have there own sub station ....

Doesn't surprise me considering HQ has it's own power generating station.

scooper

join:2000-07-11
Youngsville, NC
reply to pandora

From my TED5000 - I can state that the very highest peakload I've ever seen was 25KVA on my house with 200 Amp service. The vast majority of the time, we sit at about 2KW, with some of the heavier electric users peaking it up - running the electric dryer frequently spikes to 12 KW, but that is also running the electric tank water heater recovering.

So I believe the power companies know what they're doing on their sizing of transformers for residential use.

dplantz

join:2000-08-02
Roslindale, MA
reply to Draiman

Rates should be close all over NE. NSTAR and North East Utilities merged in April. Most of NE now gets its power from the different operating companies of NE Utilties

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

1 edit

said by dplantz:

Rates should be close all over NE.

Interesting I did not realize that. Always thought of PSNH as "my electric utility" but in fact they are just part of a larger operation.

Here is a link to rates for Public Service of New Hampshire, the largest utility in the state. Residential rate is 14.88 cents per KWH plus a $11.96 per month meter charge. There are slightly lower rates for water and space heating.

»www.psnh.com/RatesTariffs/Home/R···tes.aspx

quote:
Rate R, Residential Service
Available to customers living in individual residences and apartments.

Customer Charge $11.96 Per Month
KWH Distribution Charge 3.905 Cents per KWH
KWH Transmission Charge 1.480 Cents per KWH
KWH Stranded Cost Recovery Charge 1.999 Cents per KWH
System Benefits Charge 0.330 Cents per KWH
Electricity Consumption Tax 0.055 Cents per KWH
Energy Charge 7.11 Cents per KWH

/tom

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom

1 edit

All of that is the legal rates but the real bottom line is the kWh used and the total cost with taxes and fees.

i.e. 121.79 / 1171 = $0.10.4/kWh

* That's why I have no interest in the overpriced LED ugly bulbs. I don't consider spending a bunch of money when I'm not spending that much on my electricity.

What is a Meter Charge? Also do you not have taxes and fees on your bill?

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to mattmag

said by mattmag:

We're on a 15kW transformer by ourselves. Service for house is 200A. Seems he told me they figure it a bit differently than you did as 15kW / 120V = 125A, and that is *per leg*...Now, I may be wrong on that

Yes, its wrong. 15kVA / 240V = 62.5A. Total. Or per leg. Makes no difference, there is no other way to do the math.

This could be exceeded when necessary, the transformer can be overloaded at a reduction of its life. 15kVA works fine for most homes - on average. That is why utilities often put up to 4 on one 25kVA transformer, which can basically only provide 100A total at rated load.

The OP's 400A service? Note the transformer its fed off of. 50kVA at best, and its shared. It puts out 200A - shared - at full rated load. But a 400A service certainly makes for a nice thread, more than most of us could post if we were trying to impress people with our service.