jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

Re: Who's using 'password' as a password? TOO MANY OF YOU!

It's hard to believe, after so long a time and so much education as most have gotten from somewhere that they continue to do that. In my way of thinking that's asking for trouble, and I guess if someone wants it, why not make it easy, eh?

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
said by jaykaykay:

It's hard to believe, after so long a time and so much education as most have gotten from somewhere that they continue to do that.

What education?

I'll bet you anything, that even in this day and age, the topic of password security is not taught in most schools across the world.

Hell, when I went through school (graduated from high school in 2005), all they taught was basic Windows and Microsoft Office usage. Not a single word about security.

It hasn't been any different in the workplace either. The IT department enforces a password policy (the typical minimum X characters with at least one number and symbol type of thing), but never did they ever explain to employees the importance of secure password and how to create one.

Fact is, people aren't being told why secure passwords are important, what threats exist and how it relates to password security. Most people have never even heard terms like "brute force", "dictionary attack", or "keylogger".