abitbent

join:2004-04-23
Brantford, ON
Reviews:
·magicjack.com
·Start Communicat..
·Rogers Hi-Speed

Rogers SVP Wants Fairness Across Canada

So Ken Engelhart of Rogers supports the National Computer Wireless Code, because "Consumers should feel confident that they will be treated fairly and equitably, whether they live in Calgary or Charlottetown, London or Laval."

Reference: »www.newswire.ca/en/story/1083477···to-coast

I realize this is about wireless access... but if this is his mantra... why does New Brunswick get 500GB home internet packages, when it's not available in Ontario?

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
What he's referring to is standard regulations across the countries governing service agreements.

New Brunswick gets 500GB caps because Bell Aliant is a serious competitive threat DOCSIS can't go toe to toe with fibre, and the cable infrastructure out east is in serious need of upgrades so Rogers needs to compete with Aliant with value for money. In Ontario, DOCSIS can easily trounce Bell's FTTN and aging DSL products easily. The download speed on Roger's second lowest tier is the fastest you can get on Bell in MOST areas. Therefore, Rogers has opted to compete with Bell in Ontario using technological superiority instead.

abitbent

Brantford, ON
Thanks yyzlrh.... although your answer is the obvious one... I want to hear from Rogers what their stance is on this.

Because what I see is them talking out of both sides of their mouths.

Um no

@videotron.ca
reply to yyzlhr
No, yyzlhr. That is not it at all.

This is in regards to regulation wireless on a consumer level. Speeds and price are not going to be regulated.

Basically Rogers had zero choice in the matter. The gouging of their very own customers has got to the point where there will now be regulation where none has existed before.

Rogers was faced with provinces creating their own consumer laws to protect their citizens (like what Quebec and Manitoba have done, And Nova Scotia was about to do).

Rogers on the other hand was trying to hide consumer issues. Going to far as to file with the CRTC that the CRTC should "expunge" (hide from the public) what the Quebec consumers union started at the CRTC.

Rogers is far, *very far* from being open, honest and transparent in that puff piece "abitbent" posted. And far, very far, from telling the truth about how they support it.

The reality is that they had *no choice*. They have fought tooth and nail not to make consumer issues public and to hide them from the public. But there is just so much dirt they can hide.

Thus, the reason why they are now going to be regulated.

So, yyzlhr, it has absolutely nothing to do what what you said.

This is nothing about Rogers wanting to be fair. It's a crack down on their underhandedness and unfairness.

Rogers is trying to play people as fools by creating these media puff pieces. It's all fluff.

And of course they support the "CWTA Draft Code", as stated in the article. The CWTA (who is a mobile sock-puppet organization for Rogers, Bell and Telus) was all in favour and supporting Rogers when Rogers filed to hide the consumer issues from the public with the CRTC.

You have it all wrong here.

Do you think a government brings in regulation for no reason at all? Seriously? Just to promote openness? Really?

said by abitbent:

Because what I see is them talking out of both sides of their mouths.

More like trying to hide from the truth with make-believe press releases.

And you can bet your last and bottom dollar that whatever the sock-puppet CWTA filed will be the bare minimum and will not stop all rip-off practices employed by Rogers.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
I don't think you read what I wrote. I was simply addressing the fact that the SVP's comments had nothing to do with price regulation and I offered an explanation as to why the caps are different in the Atlantic regions, which was totally unrelated to the regulations they are trying to implement.

abitbent

Brantford, ON
reply to abitbent
I'm still waiting for an official answer from Rogers. They have acknowledged the receipt of my email question and claim they will get back to me at some point.

Last correspondence was on December 7th.

I guess we'll see.

abitbent

Brantford, ON
Reviews:
·magicjack.com
·Start Communicat..
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to abitbent
Here's the official reply from Rogers:

We offer different pricing in different markets, based on customer usage and what competitors are offering. It’s common among all carriers to have regional pricing and promotions. With regard to plan sizes, only a very small percentage of customers would ever use 500 MB. Less than .001 of our customers use more than 250 GBs. About 5% of our customers use more than 120GB.

I recognize this may not be of much comfort to you. I suggest that if you have concerns about your specific plan you contact a customer service rep and discuss what might be the best plan/pricing option for you.

Blah blah blah blah. I wasn't expecting anything more honestly. The biggest take away I see here was this line:

"... based on customer usage and what competitors are offering."

We are getting shafted here in Ontario because there's no competition period. Rogers is bending us over, because they can.

Again... no surprise.

However I will remember this, when they are begging me to come back to them.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
Why is the largest province in Canada, and -- in particular, Southern Ontario, one of the most densely populated area's in North America, years behind freaking Atlantic Canada? And no offence to my Maritime friends, but I would like to know.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
Competition in Atlantic Canada in Bell Aliant.

FTTH with some pretty damn decent speeds (overpriced, but whatever), with no caps, means Rogers has to attempt to compete.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP