share rss forum feed

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

[Help Me] Bandwidth management on DGS-1100 with VLAN 802.1p

I have a DGS-1100-16. I want to ensure that particular data gets a preference on this switch. I figured the best way was to use VLAN with priority.

The device is connected to a port on the switch. The device itself is not sending tagged packets and everything works at this point. The port is a member of VLAN 736. It is set to untagged.

Next I want to make some changes.

So my device was set to use VID 736 and a priority was set. When I did this, the device was no longer able to get on my network. Then I set the port to tagged. Still the device was not able to get an IP address over DHCP.

Any idea why simply changing my device to send tagged packets caused it to be kicked from the network?
--
dnoyeB
"Then said I, Wisdom [is] better than strength: nevertheless the poor man's wisdom [is] despised, and his words are not heard. " Ecclesiastes 9:16

BimmerE38FN

join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID
kudos:1

You might want to post this question here as well:
»forums.dlink.com/index.php#8

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

Southfield, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to dnoyeB

The device itself being on VLAN 736 is expecting to receive packets in that VLAN. With the port on the switch being an untagged member, the VLAN was being stripped from the packets on their way to the device. I had to create a new VLAN and make the port the device is on a tagged member.
--
dnoyeB
"Then said I, Wisdom [is] better than strength: nevertheless the poor man's wisdom [is] despised, and his words are not heard. " Ecclesiastes 9:16

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
reply to dnoyeB

Sounds like you got it going.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

Southfield, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to dnoyeB

I thought so. That was an obvious flaw in my setup. Now that I have my setup correct based on what I think are the rules of VLAN it should be working. But its not.

I think the replies to my devices broadcasts are not tagged. I dont know if this is because the broadcast itself is not properly tagged by my device, or because the packets are not properly tagged by the DGS. I suspect the device.

My device is an Obi110.
--
dnoyeB

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
reply to dnoyeB

You'll probably want to phone contact DLink support and get help. Ask for level 2 or higher maybe.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

Southfield, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to dnoyeB

I did some more testing and diagnosis. I don;t think its the dlink. bottom line is, if the two VLANs are on different subnets it works, but if they are on the same subnet it does not work. This points to my router/switch not properly passing data between segments.
--
dnoyeB

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
reply to dnoyeB

What make and model router do you have?