All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
chalieboy
join:2009-11-26
Euclid, OH

chalieboy to plencnerb

to plencnerb

Re: [TWC] Issues with Netflix. Are my signals ok?

does the issue happen with every device you use with netflix? Your power levels look a little too strong but the issue you are having sounds stranger than just that.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

I am not sure if it is happening on the other devices in her home. I know she has a playstation in her living room that her kids use to watch some Netflix. I don't think that has the same issue, as they have not said anything to her about it. I do know this is the primary way they watch movies on the TV.

Her son has his desktop in the living room, but I am not sure how much Netflix he does on it. His Desktop is hardwired directly to the back of the gateway device. He's not home now, and I don't know his password so we cannot test it right now. But, he should be home soon.

Which Power levels are to high? Is that something we could call Time Warner to see if they can get that fixed?

Thanks,

--Brian

Jabbu
Premium Member
join:2002-03-06

Jabbu to chalieboy

Premium Member

to chalieboy
said by chalieboy:

does the issue happen with every device you use with netflix? Your power levels look a little too strong but the issue you are having sounds stranger than just that.

WHERE do you guys get your "OK" levels from? Now +7 is high? At this rate -10 will be too strong in 2 years....
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32

Premium Member

I was thinking the same thing. Everything I’ve ever read says downstream power levels in between -15 and +15 dB are within spec, although a TW tech that was out here once told me told me that TW has tightened that up a bit, to -12 and +12 dB holding themselves to a slightly higher standard. I had borderline fluctuating levels for a while here until the line tech did something pertaining to my node, and I can’t recall what that was now. My modem levels are always in between 0-2.5 dB and on the TV side of things, In between -4 and +4 dB depending on the frequency and how hot or cold it is outside. While +7 dB is a little high IMO, it certainly is well within spec and shouldn’t be the cause of any issue. SNR of 42 is excellent, mine is usually 36 or 37.

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

So, I read the last two replies, and wanted to confirm what I'm reading as far as the signals I reported go.

There are three items that, if out of range, can cause issues: Downstream Power, Downstream SNR, and Upstream Power.

Downstream SNR, according to Happydude32 See Profile is "excellent", so I don't have an issue there, correct?

As far as Downstream Power, I see one report of "Its to high", and two reports of "it is within spec". So, which is it?

Finally, no mention of the Upstream Power level. How does it look?

As I said in my last post, my problem was I needed to modify a setting on Netflix, in regards to the quality of the stream, as her laptop cannot support an HD video stream due to not having enough graphical power.

But, since I did post her signal levels, if there is something out of spec, then I can work with her to work with TWC to get things fixed, if indeed there is an issue.

Thanks,

--Brian

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

Yes, your Downstream SNR is excellent. 35 dB is the minimum, and I like to see at least 37-38 to allow for some fluctuation.

Although the Downstream Power is slightly high, it is well within spec. Although they say anything between -15 and +15 will work, I was having major issues when mine was in the +12 range. 0 is considered "perfect," so the closer to 0 you can get it the better. +7 is close enough that I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Your Upstream Power is a little low, but again it's well within spec. Really as long as it's below 54 or so it's fine, though lower 40's is "perfect."

There's also an Upstream SNR, but only the equipment on TWC's end can see what it is. You can probably call up tech support and get it, but trying to explain what you want and then getting the rep to actually look it up may be challenging.

Really your levels fine as they are, but if you really want it perfect, hop over to Amazon and pick up a 6dB attenuator. That'll drop your downstream by 6 and also increase your upstream by 6, putting them both into the "perfect" range. TWC's not going to do anything with the levels as close as they are, and I believe most first/install techs don't even have attenuators on their truck (they can fake it with splitters though...).

/M
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32 to plencnerb

Premium Member

to plencnerb
Generally speaking:

Downstream Power Level: -15 to +15 is within spec, as close to 0 as you can get is desirable
Upstream Power Level: ~37-53 is within spec, I forget the exact range of levels but that’s close, I’d aim for the mid 40s personally
Downstream SNR: Anything above 33 is good, the higher the better, your 42s are among the highest I’ve ever seen

For upstream power levels, the supervisor at TWC that I have contact with told me he tells his guys to aim for 42-44 dB. Your Upstream level at 37, IMO is a little too cool.

Here’s a screen cap of my levels. Due to some issues I’ve had with pixilation on digital cable, my levels are looked at every so often by a supervisor in my area to make sure they are well within spec.

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

Everyone,

Thanks again for the clarification of my friends signal levels.

I did check the price of a 6dB attenuator on Amazon. For just a few bucks, I will probably get one and install it the next time I'm at her place. If it does make things "more perfect", then all the better. If not, I'll just remove it, and keep things as they are.

--Brian