Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits

Composite Cable to VGA

Everyone I know has old stuff and they ask me questions like I know the answers.

Here's the setup..

X-ray machine (coaxial) -> VCR (for recording) -> Composite cable to a possible 1980s Soviet Union era TV.

The TV is dying. Is it possible to get a converter to throw a computer flat panel there?

Thanks
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
There are several composite to VGA converters -- so it shouldn't be too difficult to find one that works.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
reply to Mike
Why not just get a flat panel TV that has a CV input?

Mike
Premium,Mod
Pittsburgh, PA
Space.

If you can find a 15 or 17" TV instead of wall-mounting a flat panel (he is remodelling) that is about as thin then it'll work.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to Mike
Composite to VGA won't work with a passive adapter. You do need electronics to separate at the very least sync and luminance (for a monochrome picture). If you want to preserve colors it gets even more complicated (chroma -> RGB).

I would use a PC monitor that has a composite video input (I have several that do and they aren't all that expensive) to avoid the need for a converter but if you enter "composite video to vga" into a google search you find a number of them ($30-100 range).
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

lugnut

@look.ca
reply to Mike
If it hooks up to a Soviet TV there's a probability that it's PAL instead of NTSC. You may not find an adapter on this continent.

tele bele

@bellmobilite.ca
tough break for the Solviet Union. Who has equiptment dating back to the Solviet union anyway? whats it for

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
reply to lugnut
I thought most of the Eastern block countries were actually SECAM, but I don't think that should matter with CV.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

lugnut

@look.ca
It may indeed be SECAM or PAL, but either way you're going to have to deal with crazy scan rates and horizontal lines.

I don't understand how a Soviet made monitor can function at all on 120 VAC @ 60Hz.

leibold
Premium,MVM
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to aurgathor
said by aurgathor:

I thought most of the Eastern block countries were actually SECAM, but I don't think that should matter with CV.

You are correct about SECAM for the former Soviet Union, but are wrong about that the encoding standard not mattering for composite video. The encoding standard determines the sync rate, number of total and visible lines, offset for chroma carrier and how color information is included in the signal.
--

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
I thought most of those encoding was in the TV signal, and once down to CV they wouldn't matter, but I could very well be wrong -- haven't looked at them in 20+ years.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to lugnut
said by lugnut :

I don't understand how a Soviet made monitor can function at all on 120 VAC @ 60Hz.

Many old Soviet-era TVs had voltage selectors for 127V IIRC.
Side-note: most of (Eastern) Europe is PAL. I can swear that the Russian station I could receive was PAL.
Many monitors that have composite input will do both PAL and NTSC just fine. I have an older Dell (7-8 yrs old) and it handles both.

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to leibold
said by leibold:

You are correct about SECAM for the former Soviet Union

Not the entire former USSR, just parts of it.
said by leibold:

The encoding standard determines the sync rate, number of total and visible lines, offset for chroma carrier and how color information is included in the signal.

Not entirely. Well in a way. There are variations for PAL and SECAM, ex PAL-M is 525 lines 60 half-frames vs 625/50 for "regular" PAL.

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
said by cowboyro:

Not the entire former USSR, just parts of it.

There is a difference between "were" and "are".

quote:
SECAM was later adopted by former French and Belgian colonies, Greece, the Soviet Union and Eastern bloc countries (except for Romania and Albania), and Middle Eastern countries. However, with the fall of communism, and following a period when multi-standard TV sets became a commodity, many Eastern European countries decided to switch to PAL.
In many European countries with mixed coverage, especially in later years, TVs had decoders for both PAL and SECAM. And back then, the Soviet Union was a single entity in this respect.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Mike
Premium,Mod
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Mike
Now that I actually saw the damn thing... it's a "US" TV from the 1980s. He was technically correct, it was around when the Soviets existed....

Uh anyhow. What's the equipment (amazon links would be nice) of stuff I would to get him going?
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

leibold
Premium,MVM
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
Composite to VGA converter .

LCD Monitor with composite input (just one example of many like it).
--

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
kudos:2
reply to Mike
said by Mike:

Here's the setup..

X-ray machine (coaxial) -> VCR (for recording) -> Composite cable to a possible 1980s Soviet Union era TV.

How about retiring both VCR and TV with one of those flat panel "all-in-one" PCs? Use a good quality USB dongle which handle all variations of NTSC/PAL/SECAM and the PC hard disk to store zillions of X-Ray charts.

»www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmen ··· .en.html

Mike
Premium,Mod
Pittsburgh, PA
I mentioned something like that but he didn't seem too interested.

Crash Gordon
Drive It Like You Stole It

join:2004-06-08
Smyrna, GA
reply to Mike
Check monoprice »www.monoprice.com/
if they don't have the cable you need, you're probably S.O.L