Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

pfak to Symtex

Premium Member

to Symtex

Re: [BC] TELUS High Speed Turbo 25 Usage being reduced 50%

said by Symtex:

What about the infrastructure cost to sustain the bandwidth ? That's not cheap. TELUS doesn't make 1 penny for HSIA only customer for the first year. The initial cost of acquisition is still high.

Bandwidth is a ridiculously small part of the cost. Certainly not enough to justify charging me $70/mo for basic TV and Internet with a 125GB cap.
Symtex
join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC

Symtex

You have idea what are the cost. If you only knew.
Kruisey
join:2006-12-30
Vancouver, BC

Kruisey to pfak

to pfak
Remember Telus was only a Home Phone provider not long ago.
To build up the TV side of their business from scratch must have had dig very deep into their pockets.
Personally I think they have done very well in the short time they have been established .When you think of their incentives given to customers .Yes I understand on a three year term.What other Companies would be as generous?
For the earlier client you states he only pays $30 for his internet and TV.Again no ISP provider needs you to go bankrupt.
Gardener
Premium Member
join:2006-10-19
Burnaby, BC
·TELUS

Gardener to Symtex

Premium Member

to Symtex
said by Symtex:

You have idea what are the cost. If you only knew.

Exactly. We don't have a clue, so we make wild guesses. For example, the difference between the "High Speed" and "Turbo High Speed" price implies that a gigabyte really costs a maximum of four cents, on the old rates, yet the "additional" charge is fifty times that. Curious, that.

I'd love to see a breakdown of the actual costs, but then so would competitors. Pity.

Telus_WHY
@terago.net

Telus_WHY

Anon

Really, just call telus as for the client loyalty retention department. Talk to them about your account explain how not please you are with it. Try and get them to resolve it. When they don't simply go here and file a complaint. If enough of us do this will cause them to stop.

»www.ccts-cprst.ca/en/com ··· int-form

Easy...... that is if everyone does it.

(When is google fiber coming to Canada again?)
Kruisey
Vancouver, BC

Kruisey

Check the usage and pricing of the other big carriers .At the same time the free offers they give before complaining about Telus.
Bell,Rogers and Shaw.

NoCNTRCT
@shawcable.net

NoCNTRCT

Anon

Ya Telus is now in-line with the others for use age. . . Who cares? If they enforce these caps that's another issue but I am just glad I'm not with Telus and didn't sign a contract!!!
telususer
join:2006-03-05
Burnaby, BC

telususer to Kruisey

to Kruisey
Well...Shaw does offer scaled pricing packages based upon your useage so you don't get hit with $/GB costs.

I'm in Burnaby and I am stuck with 15Mbps. I can't upgrade even if I wanted to.

Tabernak
@videotron.ca

Tabernak

Anon

Spotted this via Gests twitter, i'll only copy/paste a small portion. You can go to the link to read the rest...

Telus slashing internet usage caps
»wordsbynowak.com/2012/12 ··· us-caps/
...snip...
I inquired with Telus and here’s the spokesperson’s full response:
quote:
Telus sez:
Even with this change our thresholds remain the most generous in Canada. Thresholds of this sort are standard in the industry, and ours are far more generous than those of most other Canadian ISPs, in many cases more than twice as high. With this change TELUS offers a number of simple internet plans from $24 to $60 a month with speeds up to 25 MBPS and thresholds as high as a huge 400 GB a month. Our most popular mid-range plan TELUS 15, will give you up to 15 MBPS and 150 Gigs, more than enough for all but the heaviest users.

Since 2000, TELUS has invested more than $30 billion to bring Canadians some of the most advanced wireless and wireline broadband networks in the world. We have made significant investments in our network so that our customers can get the services that they want within their standard plan. In large part because of this investment our basic service is half the price of what broadband internet service first cost when it was launched 10 years ago, and our thresholds the most generous in the country. In the last few years, rates have remained about the same while the speeds and thresholds have dramatically increased, which has allowed customers to use increasingly data-heavy services, such as video streaming off the Internet.
I’m not sure what the 400 GB is in reference to, since the biggest cap apparently available as of February will be 250 GB. I’ll clarify that here if possible.

The new thresholds are, however, in line with what Shaw – Telus’s main competitor – is offering. Shaw’s 25-megabit service, for example, comes with 250 GB of usage, which is exactly what Telus’s high-end offering will now mirror. ....
Gardener
Premium Member
join:2006-10-19
Burnaby, BC
·TELUS

Gardener

Premium Member

said by Tabernak :

The new thresholds are, however, in line with what Shaw – Telus’s main competitor – is offering.

Perhaps this will stop attracting Shaw's bandwidth hogs. It won't do Netflix any favors either; the month we trialed, our usage went up significantly.

pfak
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

1 edit

pfak to Tabernak

Premium Member

to Tabernak

said by Tabernak
I’m not sure what the 400 GB is in reference to, since the biggest cap apparently available as of February will be 250 GB. I’ll clarify that here if possible.

Word on the street is that Optik 50 will have a 400GB cap.
Ikarasu
join:2004-01-09
Port Coquitlam, BC

Ikarasu to Kruisey

to Kruisey
If them offering me internet / TV for $30 a month will bankrupt them, maybe they shouldn't be offering it!

I didn't even want the TV / Never use it. Bandwidth costs Telus nothing - If they were to offer an unlimite 25 MB plan for $20 more, I'm sure a ton of people would sign up for it.

All these caps.. theyre not to save money, theyre for anti-copetetive measures. Telus knows people are using Netflix a lot... Or just downloading TV shows, and it competes with their TV Department. Thats the reason why they're lowering caps, not because they're losing money on it.

This is the reason why The smaller, non TV Selling ISPS can offer unlimited, for cheaper than Telus's limited plans... Teksavvy, Distributel, Primus, Acanac, ect... I could go on.

I got a good deal on Telus because I moved. I'd stick with them for their original price, but once they start charging for more usage, I'll be switching to Teksavvy. It's the only sensible move, financially. Especially with all the Rate hikes Telus/Shaw have been doing...

And don't even get me started on Telus's proffits... Telus has 1.3 Million subs for their ineternet, Their internet, TV, and Wireless business is constantly growing, and proffits raising... Sure, theyre spending millions upgrading their infrastructure so we get better speeds, But here comes the age old question:

If I can use my whole data cap in a 24 hour period on my current plan, why would I want extra speed? so I can reach my cap in 12 hours?
Kruisey
Vancouver, BC

Kruisey

Ok you know what you plan to do so why keep harping on about it.?
Ikarasu
join:2004-01-09
Port Coquitlam, BC

Ikarasu

You mean, why do I keep discussing the fact Telus is cutting our bandwidth in half, and what sollutions / options there are, IE: Vote with your money? Probably the same reason you do...

It's a free world. You can defend their decision all you want, just as I can protest it.
Kruisey
Vancouver, BC

Kruisey

I am quiet certain your $30 a year for TVand internet will not be missed.Good Luck