darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

[iPad] YouTube for iPad arrives (finally!)

It's been a long couple of months for iPad owning YouTube users who've missed the app in iOS 6. But on Tuesday Google announced a revamped native YouTube iPad app, as well as some updates to the app for the iPhone 5.

Apple dropped the YouTube app from its default inclusion in iOS 6, and since September, Google had only issued a replacement native app for the iPhone and iPod touch. But Google is finally giving the iPad some love too.

The app updates include improvements and enhancements for the larger screen iPad as well as Apple's latest iPhone. YouTube videos can now be streamed from the app with AirPlay to an Apple TV. Videos can be more easily added or removed from playlists, and it incorporates VoiceOver, a voice interface feature of iOS for blind or low-vision users.

More: »gigaom.com/apple/youtube-for-ipad-released/
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
kudos:1

Note, it is currently only showing under iPhone apps in the store but if you install on your iPad it is the iPad app.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

»itunes.apple.com/app/youtube/id544007664 from the iPad works too
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

When I first searched it did not show up under iPad apps, only iPhone. That was my point. It's updated now.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR

Yes, I understood; the link I posted gets around the need to search at all
--
♬ Music is life ♬

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
reply to darcilicious

Better or worse than YouPlayer? I'm not too keen on the new Google Youtube for iPhone and can't see a native Google Player being better than Jasmine or YouPlayer.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

It's subjective, only you can decide which you like better.

I've used Jasmine a bit and haven't had a chance to play with the YouTube version as much. A quick glance and so far, I like it.

You could also read the article to get an idea of what Google's YouTube app is like.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to darcilicious

Here's one "plus" I just noticed: Google's YouTube app has Google Voice Search built-in for those of us on hardware that doesn't support dictation (like my iPad 2).

If you find that useful or not, I can't say, but my iPhone 5 has already spoiled me rotten when it comes to using dictation instead of typing all the time.

And on the iPad, I currently like the layout better on YouTube's version that Jasmine's though there's nothing "wrong" with the latter -- just personal preference.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to darcilicious

Im just happy the new update has iPhone 5 support!
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016