Baton Rouge, LA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to robbin

Re: drilling into brick/mortar

Assorted Storage Hooks_1

Assorted Storage Hooks_3
said by robbin:

Could you give some more details on the hooks and hangers you want to install as well as what they are intended to support.

Attached are sorta kinda what I've been thinking of anchoring into either the bricks or mortar.

The heaviest item to be hung is an aluminum extension ladder. Right now it's being temporarily suspended by two bungee cords. I'd like to be able to put some light-duty shelves up against one of the brick walls. Nothing too terribly heavy; the last thing I want is to cause any instability on the outer walls.

Given what was mentioned, what would you suggest as the best way to keep the hooks in? Liquid Nails? Anchors?

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
said by sfogliatelle:

Given what was mentioned, what would you suggest as the best way to keep the hooks in? Liquid Nails? Anchors?

I always use epoxy. You can get the little double syringe (maybe 5 oz) which does a number of holes at the big box specifically made for concrete -- it works well. Tape and mask the area off and use a little stick to work the epoxy back in the hole and those storage hooks will be solid for a very long time. Similarly, use short pieces of all thread for larger hooks. Make sure that you buy good hooks so you don't have to replace them. The way things work these days nothing is ever the same and you don't want to drill more holes over time if it is not necessary.

If you are only drilling a few holes in the mortar then a new carbide bit in a regular drill is all you need. Blow them out with a compressor, can of air, etc and you will have a much better bond.

sfogliatelle
We Is Whut We Am
Premium
join:2002-05-29
Baton Rouge, LA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
Good tips. Thanks, robbin See Profile.

It's true and a shame what you said about how things work these days and their frustratingly inconsistent quality.