Premium
join:2005-01-29
So. CA, USA
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

[F@H] Trojan warning from MBAM re: F@H

Click for full size
Please, does anyone know if the attached scan result (top) could really be connected with F@H? I saved the log, but took no other action.

Am also attaching a screen snapshot of a Trojan warning I got earlier today. A site where I moderate had an issue. It doesn't look related but I don't know enough to be sure so figured I should mention it. I quarantined that.

Thanks in advance.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 recommendation

I seem to recall that a number of DC projects have been flagged as trojans/malware in the past. Assuming you've obtained the file directly from F@H, I think it's just a false positive.
That does seem like an older version, though- the latest appears to be fah-installer_7.2.9_x86.exe .
--
***ATMFAQ***DIFAQ***Kitchen Sink***

onDvine
Don't Litter. Spay-Neuter.
Premium
So. CA, USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
Thank you.
said by tmpchaos:

... Assuming you've obtained the file directly from F@H, I think it's just a false positive.
That does seem like an older version, though- the latest appears to be fah-installer_7.2.9_x86.exe ...

I'm running version 7.1.52, which is the one named. Can't imagine where else I would've gotten an F@H file from.

Am encountering a lot of slow page loading here tonight.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to onDvine
From the looks of your screenshot Mbam also flagged an Avast file as a Trojan. I suspect Mbam had a dodgy database update and you are getting false positives. I looked at the Mbam forum and a user had it flag his NVidia GPU update file.
Run an update manually for Mbam and see if it fixes those. Yesterday it flagged an Eset file on mine which I told it to ignore and seems ok now.

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
said by jaynick:

... Run an update manually for Mbam and see if it fixes those. ...

Thanks. Will give it a try.

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA
reply to jaynick
It says I have the latest definitions for MBAM as of 6:15 p.m. (PST), which was before it found the F@H file during a scan I initiated. Maybe the next update will take care of it.

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

1 recommendation

said by onDvine:

It says I have the latest definitions for MBAM as of 6:15 p.m. (PST), which was before it found the F@H file during a scan I initiated. ...

Scanned again w/o updated definitions and it came up clean. I saved the log showing F@H as a problem but didn't delete or quarantine. If it's an intermittent issue, seems likely MBAM is the problem as suggested.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI

1 recommendation

reply to onDvine
Quite possibly the next one will. Here's hoping because I am pretty confident is a FP.

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

1 recommendation

reply to onDvine
said by jaynick:

... I am pretty confident is a FP.

You and tmpchaos See Profile are in agreement on that so I won't worry further unless it's still doing strange stuff tomorrow. I appreciate the time and attention from both of you.

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to onDvine
Click for full size
I just noticed that WinPatrol shows a lot of Active Tasks first detected tonight. Many appear related to F@H, but not all. Odd. None are new.

Am posting a screen snapshot so if what shows is significant someone may have seen it by morning. Thanks in advance.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

Do you have FAH setup to fold with your GPU? I see FAH core 16 running. That may be slowing you down as that indicates an ATI graphics card.
Go here: »www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/ and run a scan and see if that detects anything.
Your Avast hasn't complained of anything has it?

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

1 edit

2 recommendations

said by jaynick:

Do you have FAH setup to fold with your GPU? I see FAH core 16 running. ...

I think so. My understanding is that F@H folds with the card because it can. I thought that's what makes it possible for my 'puter to work on two projects simultaneously. I know very little about computers and software...far less than the norm for members here. Had to Google "GPU" before replying.

... That may be slowing you down as that indicates an ATI graphics card. ...

Am rising in the ranks at a healthy pace.

... Go here: »www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/ and run a scan and see if that detects anything. ...

It came up clean, thanks.

... Your Avast hasn't complained of anything has it?

Avast raised a red window twice yesterday, saying it had blocked a Trojan. The site it was at did have an issue...or the host/server did. We're not sure which at this point.

Everything seems to be working fine. Perhaps whatever made WinPatrol "first detect" all that stuff doesn't matter?

I sure do appreciate your time and attention.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to onDvine
If everything seems fine then you just might want to keep an eye on it for a while. You could look around in Avast and see if there are any items in quarantine and do the same in Mbam. I was under the impression that it was just Mbam . It may well have been that site and your stuff blocked it.

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

1 recommendation

Click for full size
said by jaynick:

... You could look around in Avast and see if there are any items in quarantine and do the same in Mbam. I was under the impression that it was just Mbam ...

I have one item (an Avast file) in MBAM quarantine, shown above. I mentioned in the original post that I put it there. Since it's looking like a false positive, will restore it a little later unless advised otherwise.

... It may well have been that site and your stuff blocked it.

And MBAM's false positives on the same day were just coincidental.