how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MineCoast
Premium
join:2004-10-06

How should I ask?

I will be building a new computer and I really won't have a need for my old system so I am thinking of selling it... but unsure of prices and how should I sell it, such as these forums or ebay or craigslist.

Dell Studio XPS 420
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU
8 GB DDR2 Ram
250 GB SATA Hard Drive
GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB Video Card
ATI Theater 650 Card with front A/V jacks
Front Memory Card Reader
640x480 LCD screen on top of tower for viewing different things
DVD-ROM SATA Drive
DVD-RW SATA Drive
56k Modem
Front firewire on the case and eSATA port on the back.

The system was a studio model so it came shipped with a ton of Adobe software for video and picture editing so I have all those CD's and licences. I also have the drivers and windows (vista) ultimate discs. I may be able to throw Windows 7 Ultimate on there. I have the Dell Keyboard/Mouse and mousepad and a dell cd case which has all the cd's for the system as well as a large user's manual and such. It's a fully complete system.

If I sell locally, I could also throw in a 17" Dell LCD Monitor and Dell Speakers.

Anyway... how much do ya'll think I could get out of the system and what would be the best way of selling it? I personally was thinking somewhere in the $400 - $500 range depending on where and how I sell it. Thanks in advance.

Chrno

join:2003-12-11
It's actually not hard to find something new for around $500 offering better performance than what you have listed.

I think you should reevaluate your asking price. Just remember that whatever you are selling will have no warranty what-so-ever and you have been using it for 3-4 years now if not more? Compare that to buying new with warranty.

bbrcat
Cancer Sucks
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-09
NH
kudos:3
reply to MineCoast
You can always donate it to Team Discovery my fellow teamie
--
Team
Discovery

FizzyMyNizzy

join:2004-05-29
New York, NY
reply to MineCoast
I also vote for donate it. I remember odd jobs trying to sell a pentium 4 used computer for 200-300. and when the company went under,no one brought that computer lol.

MineCoast
Premium
reply to MineCoast
The computer has a sentimental value to me as I've had it for 5 years now and it's been through many changes in my life. I didn't want to sell it for pennies, I was hoping to at least sell it for enough to cover a power supply and video card in my new system but... doesn't appear so It looks like I may just keep it and turn it into a HTPC and keep it until it simply dies.

The same thing happened with my first computer, wanted to sell it but the value was so low that I kept it... and still have the entire system to this day and it's nearly 16 years old now and still runs like new.

FizzyMyNizzy

join:2004-05-29
New York, NY
you could try eBay...

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to MineCoast
If you don't mind people coming out to your home, Craigslist it, and ask 300 for it, firm

It is probably worth about 150 though.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3
reply to MineCoast
Realistically you want way too much, even brand new computers for $200 are faster, and expecting people to pay you good money for an outdated gaming card isn't going to happen.

It's not too old to be useful so just hook it up to your hdtv, or whatever. Browse the web, watch videos, but for you to seriously expect that much shows you haven't been new computer shopping in a while. Computers never retain good value, You might pull over $100 if you're lucky, and still works perfectly.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent out necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

MineCoast
Premium
reply to MineCoast
I haven't been computer shopping in a very long time, in fact, this was the last new system I bought so I am way behind in times. I'll just keep it and use it as a HTPC.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

1 recommendation

reply to MineCoast
I agree with signmeuptoo See Profile. It's worth about $150. I would just donate it and write off for tax purposes the value you paid for it.

Check with your local VFW chapter and see if a veteran needs a computer.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to MineCoast
Donating a folder/cruncher could help your so called "sentimental value". Rather than capturing dust, it helping find information that could help fight deadly disease would certainly breath new life in an outdated system.

Myself, I stopped being sentimental about my computers a couple years ago. They are such a PITA that frankly, like a car, they are just a hole into which your pour money...
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

MineCoast
Premium
I may turn it into a cruncher, but also thinking about a HTPC as well. It doesn't have enough drive bay's to be a server for me. It's just a bit big for a HTPC and if it was a cruncher, I could still use it as a 2nd computer.