Premium Member
join:2002-05-08

Hydraglass to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704

Re: [Serious] Rural Poverty

said by PX Eliezer704:

said by Hydraglass:

The stark difference on the two sides of the Ogdensburg/Johnstown bridge just blows my mind.

Johnstown is part of the flow of traffic in Ontario, being right off the 401 etc. It's in the shipping lanes so to speak.

Ogdensburg is isolated in upstate New York, it is NOT near major roads, there is no big reason to be there except that NYS put jails and a mental hospital there....

US traffic heading north is going to go on Interstate 81 to the Thousand Islands Bridges....

Yeah - I always attribute it to "That corner of upstate NY is about as miserable, cold, and far away from anything meaningful that there is for US residents" while on this side, it's right on our southern border - the middle of traffic and commerce from Toronto to Montreal, etc.. but, in any case, that area even makes the hometown of the US part of my family (Scranton) seem "not like the hole of the earth that Joe Biden makes it out to be".

Mind you, I'm not diminishing poverty in rural Ontario and Canada at large, it's there, all I need to do is drive around on some of the dirt roads up in the area near my cottage (Bancroft area) - and it doesn't take long to find old falling apart farms and farmhouses that barely look like they can hold the roof up, with nothing more for the residents to drive than an old '70s or 80's pickup truck that has the fenders held on with bungee cords and duct tape. The "great unseen" of cottage country.. I've at least tried to bring more of my service and product purchasing out there and take less with me from home - to try to bring a little more $ to the folks out there.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

said by Hydraglass:

Mind you, I'm not diminishing poverty in rural Ontario and Canada at large, it's there, all I need to do is drive around on some of the dirt roads up in the area near my cottage (Bancroft area) - and it doesn't take long to find old falling apart farms and farmhouses that barely look like they can hold the roof up, with nothing more for the residents to drive than an old '70s or 80's pickup truck that has the fenders held on with bungee cords and duct tape. The "great unseen" of cottage country..

Minden, Bancroft, or most of the ares north of Peterborough and Lindsay have areas of diminished value unless they are on the waterfront or in the actual towns.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to Hydraglass

Premium Member

to Hydraglass
said by Hydraglass:

Yeah - I always attribute it to "That corner of upstate NY is about as miserable, cold, and far away from anything meaningful that there is for US residents" while on this side, it's right on our southern border - the middle of traffic and commerce from Toronto to Montreal, etc.

That's it, unfortunately.

As Luke said about his homeworld:

if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from

About 2/3 of the population of NY State is in NYC, Long Island, and Westchester. Cities such as Buffalo and a few others account for most of the rest.

Rural upstate outlying areas like Ogdensburg---sad to say they don't get attention from [anyone].

WhaleOilBee
What a long strange trip it's been
join:2011-08-02
Manotick, ON

WhaleOilBee to peterboro

to peterboro
I lived between Madoc and Bancroft from mid 70's to mid 90's. I always felt like an outsider. Most of the locals were multi-generations there.

There were lots of hard working people living there who would do whatever they could to make a living... snowplowing, firewood, trash hauling, etc. Then there were the chronic welfare do-nothings who referred to their children as "meal tickets". So basically the same cross section of personalities you're likely to find in a city.