share rss forum feed

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

crooked steering wheel/grease

2001 Ford Ranger XLT RWD MT

Had upper/lower ball joints done a few months ago but was still getting noise when turning the wheel at a stop. Went back under warranty and the shop said grease fittings on left front upper ball joint needed to be replaced and there was no grease. They also said my normal place isn't greasing anything when I get an oil change. They greased everything for me for free. I think they were talking about the steering components.

Seems the steering wheel is slightly angled different after putting in that grease fitting. Could that have caused it?

What needs to be greased when I get an oil change?

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
Reviews:
·EarthLink
·Comcast
·Atlantic Nexus
Nowadays, nothing needs to be greased. Most fittings are lifetime greased. Gone are the days of leaky ball joints and tie-rod ends that always needed grease.

Some u-joints can be greased. The axle usually may have a grease fitting if it is telescopic (usually only on manual transmissions.)

Ball joints don't come with grease fittings these days and usually already have grease.

Are you saying the steering wheel is no longer centered? That would likely be caused by adjusting the tie rods differently.
--
Scott Henion

Embedded Systems Consultant,
SHDesigns home - DIY Welder

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
I wonder if the OP had a FE alignment at the same time?
--
I'm not anti-social, I just don't like stupid people.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside
I did not. They just put in a new grease fitting. Does that involve taking anything apart? I remember when I got the ball joints done, the steering wheel was crooked, so they had to do an alignment.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
Replacing a zerk usually does not require it, unless it's in a very odd place. Most are in very accessible spots.
--
I'm not anti-social, I just don't like stupid people.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to shdesigns
said by shdesigns:

Nowadays, nothing needs to be greased. Most fittings are lifetime greased. Gone are the days of leaky ball joints and tie-rod ends that always needed grease.

Back when I had my 02 Sierra 1500, I think there were 13 different grease fittings for various steering and suspension components. I can't speak specifically for the Ranger, but at least some vehicles of that vintage need the occasional squirt of grease.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Really depends where you get them and what quality they are. I only buy ball joints that have grease fittings. With fords you need to have the ability to grease them.