Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to koam

Premium Member

to koam

Re: [WIN7] Computer shut down unexpectedly

To add to the battery calibration, try running HWMonitor. It should give you the wear level as a percentage.

I'm not sure if all of the Dell batteries with built-in power gauges do this (the one on my Inspiron E1705 does), but if yours has the gauge, try holding the button for 3 seconds. A quick press tells you the current charge, while holding it for a few seconds should tell you the wear level (IIRC, 5 lights=40% wear/recommended replacement).

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium Member
join:2000-08-16
East Puddle
·Shoreham Telephone

koam

Premium Member

Click for full size
This battery doesn't have LEDs. THanks for the link to HWMonitor.

While that one-time shutdown seemed like it was a battery pull or battery issue, I haven't had much trouble from the battery.

I'll explain more in next post.

Here's the image of HWMonitor screen.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune

Premium Member

Normal battery
If HWMonitor is anywhere near correct with the battery capacity, you have a big problem there. It's reporting it as somewhere around the capacity of a smartphone battery. 4 Wh is tiny. Maybe try leaving it open while on battery and see how the current capacity value drops.

I've attached a picture of the readout on my E1705's battery. It's a 1.5 year old 80 Wh/9-cell battery. The wear/charge level reading on it is a bit screwy, I've tried recalibrating the battery a few times but it always shows something like that. Oh well . It was spot-on with the wear level of the original battery.

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium Member
join:2000-08-16
East Puddle

koam

Premium Member

On the battery it says

Type J1KND
Rating 11.1 V m
Capacity 48 Wh