spc
uniqs
telususer
join:2006-03-05
Burnaby, BC

telususer to Kruisey

to Kruisey

Re: [BC] TELUS High Speed Turbo 25 Usage being reduced 50%

Well...Shaw does offer scaled pricing packages based upon your useage so you don't get hit with $/GB costs.

I'm in Burnaby and I am stuck with 15Mbps. I can't upgrade even if I wanted to.

Tabernak
@videotron.ca

Tabernak

Anon

Spotted this via Gests twitter, i'll only copy/paste a small portion. You can go to the link to read the rest...

Telus slashing internet usage caps
»wordsbynowak.com/2012/12 ··· us-caps/
...snip...
I inquired with Telus and here’s the spokesperson’s full response:
quote:
Telus sez:
Even with this change our thresholds remain the most generous in Canada. Thresholds of this sort are standard in the industry, and ours are far more generous than those of most other Canadian ISPs, in many cases more than twice as high. With this change TELUS offers a number of simple internet plans from $24 to $60 a month with speeds up to 25 MBPS and thresholds as high as a huge 400 GB a month. Our most popular mid-range plan TELUS 15, will give you up to 15 MBPS and 150 Gigs, more than enough for all but the heaviest users.

Since 2000, TELUS has invested more than $30 billion to bring Canadians some of the most advanced wireless and wireline broadband networks in the world. We have made significant investments in our network so that our customers can get the services that they want within their standard plan. In large part because of this investment our basic service is half the price of what broadband internet service first cost when it was launched 10 years ago, and our thresholds the most generous in the country. In the last few years, rates have remained about the same while the speeds and thresholds have dramatically increased, which has allowed customers to use increasingly data-heavy services, such as video streaming off the Internet.
I’m not sure what the 400 GB is in reference to, since the biggest cap apparently available as of February will be 250 GB. I’ll clarify that here if possible.

The new thresholds are, however, in line with what Shaw – Telus’s main competitor – is offering. Shaw’s 25-megabit service, for example, comes with 250 GB of usage, which is exactly what Telus’s high-end offering will now mirror. ....
Gardener
Premium Member
join:2006-10-19
Burnaby, BC
·TELUS

Gardener

Premium Member

said by Tabernak :

The new thresholds are, however, in line with what Shaw – Telus’s main competitor – is offering.

Perhaps this will stop attracting Shaw's bandwidth hogs. It won't do Netflix any favors either; the month we trialed, our usage went up significantly.

pfak
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

1 edit

pfak to Tabernak

Premium Member

to Tabernak

said by Tabernak
I’m not sure what the 400 GB is in reference to, since the biggest cap apparently available as of February will be 250 GB. I’ll clarify that here if possible.

Word on the street is that Optik 50 will have a 400GB cap.