Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to Jack_in_VA

Re: Not enough hot water - house has 2 WH connected together.

said by Jack_in_VA:

colossal waste of energy.

Ummm... No.

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
said by Bob4:

said by Jack_in_VA:

Ummm... No.

Half-decent heaters only have 1-2% standby losses to start with. You only reduce a fraction of that by lowering the temperature.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
said by cowboyro:

said by Bob4:

said by Jack_in_VA:

Ummm... No.

Half-decent heaters only have 1-2% standby losses to start with. You only reduce a fraction of that by lowering the temperature.

And for those who don't realize it: The hotter the hot water is, the less of it you use.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom

1 edit
reply to cowboyro
said by cowboyro:

said by Jack_in_VA:

120 works just fine and is consistent with the CDC recommendations.

120F is just about perfect for the growth of dangerous and potentially lethal bacteria.
8000-18000 people get hospitalized with Legionellosis each year, significantly more cases go unnoticed or are labeled as pneumonia. Prevention is as simple as increasing the water temperature...

Have you ever considered going to work for the CDC? You seem to be able to contradict their recommendations. Evidently you have information they aren't privy to.

»www.vdh.state.va.us/epidemiology···osis.htm

Ummm Ligionellosis is classified as pneumonia.

quote:
There are two forms of the disease, the most serious of which may cause pneumonia.
quote:
Prevention of legionellosis is based upon proper maintenance of heating, cooling and plumbing systems. Commercial cooling towers should be drained when not in use and cleaned periodically to remove scale and sediment. Hot water tanks should be maintained at 122oF. Persons with hot tubs and whirlpool baths should take special care to keep them clean and free of Legionella bacteria.

cowspotter

join:2000-09-11
Ashburn, VA
kudos:2

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

1 edit
reply to Bob4
said by Bob4:

said by Jack_in_VA:

Ummm... No.

How much does turning down the temperature save you? Turning down the temperature 10 degrees Fahrenheit on your hot water heater saves 3 to 5 percent on energy costs, so a drop from 140 F to 120 F saves you 6 to 10 percent.

Another concern is that insufficiently hot water can cause bacterial growth in a typical water heater. From the »www.energysavers.gov website

In other words, unless you have a suppressed immune system, it’s more dangerous to have your water temperature at 140 degrees than 120 degrees Fahrenheit.

While there is a very slight risk of promoting legionellae bacteria when hot water tanks are maintained at 120 degrees, this level is still considered safe for the majority of the population. If you have a suppressed immune system or chronic respiratory disease, you may consider keeping your hot water tank at 140 degrees. However, this high temperature significantly increases the risk of scalding. To minimize this risk, you can install mixing valves or other temperature-regulating devices on any taps used for washing or bathing.

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
said by Jack_in_VA:

How much does turning down the temperature save you? Turning down the temperature 10 degrees Fahrenheit on your hot water heater saves 3 to 5 percent on energy costs, so a drop from 140 F to 120 F saves you 6 to 10 percent.

I'm curios how you can reach 6-10% savings when you have 1-2% losses. Reducing from 140 to 120 with 65 ambient will save about 25% of those 1-2% - so 0.5% at best.
said by Jack_in_VA:

Another concern is that insufficiently hot water can cause bacterial growth in a typical water heater. From the »www.energysavers.gov website

In other words, unless you have a suppressed immune system, it’s more dangerous to have your water temperature at 140 degrees than 120 degrees Fahrenheit.

Actually it's the other way around. 120F is dangerous, 140 is not. That's why building codes around the world require keeping the water at above 140F.

said by Jack_in_VA:

While there is a very slight risk of promoting legionellae bacteria when hot water tanks are maintained at 120 degrees, this level is still considered safe for the majority of the population.

When you have 10,000 people in the hospital each year the level is far from being safe.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
There's no use in trying to post documented information from the experts in the field and health departments when you insist on disputing it and injecting your own beliefs.

I'm not going to continue with this topic.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
reply to John97
FWIW, I have the bottoms set to 140 and the tops set to 130 on both water heaters.

I just took a nice long shower tonight and had no hot water supply issues.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
reply to Jack_in_VA
It's deja-vu all over again.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey

1 recommendation

reply to John97
Glad you found the problem. Don't mind us. We'll continue to argue about esoteric details for a couple more weeks.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

There's no use in trying to post documented information from the experts in the field and health departments when you insist on disputing it and injecting your own beliefs.

I'm not going to continue with this topic.

The problem is for every 120 article you post someone else can post a 140 article. It's a lose-lose situation for both sides. You cannot convince anyone that 120 is right and they cannot convince you 140 is right. Stalemate!
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to John97
said by John97:

FWIW, I have the bottoms set to 140 and the tops set to 130 on both water heaters.

Glad you got it fixed. Nothing like a nice long hot shower.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!
Expand your moderator at work

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to John97

Re: Not enough hot water - house has 2 WH connected together.

said by John97:

I know you and your family are very happy now. Enjoy your hot water showers.

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to John97
You should see a significant reduction in your hot water heating costs also since the HeatPump is not acting like a heat sink for the 2 water heaters anymore. The heating elements are just heating the hot water, not the great outdoors.

Strange the warranty company's plumber did not see this the first time he visited.
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

1 recommendation

I didn't call the plumber back. I figured it out myself.

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
said by John97:

I didn't call the plumber back. I figured it out myself.

Thanks for posting back. Good to hear you found the problem yourself.

I learned a long time ago that it's much more satisfying to figure out problems like this by myself instead of waiting and paying somebody else.

As far as the temperature, I see the usual suspects have weighed in. Whatever the facts, there are plenty of opinions. The challenge is separating the two and making up your own mind.

Personally, I set it at roughly 130 and use tempering valves to keep things reasonable for the kiddies. My needs are providing plenty of water to fill the spa tub and ensuring the dishes get clean, with non-phosphorus detergent.

Legionella is also a concern, but not overriding. Millions of water heaters worldwide are set at all different temperatures, and the vast majority of their users will get up every morning for years to come, and find plenty of other things to complaint about.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb