signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

1 edit

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

For DSi: top 20 games for 14 year old overseas?

I want to get the top 20 or so games that you might recommend for a 14 year old boy in the Philippines. Shipping with DSi to him.

I've got Lego Batman.

Looking for variety of types.
signmeuptoo94

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

I only know the lego games a little. Are any FPS games worth playing on it?

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0 to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
As far as a variety?

RPG-wise, it would be hard to beat its iteration of Final Fantasy IV and Chrono Trigger... the DS version of Chrono Trigger being the arguably definitive version of the game. Final Fantasy IV on the DS has a 3D look, and also gains some unique quirks of its own, such as abilities, and new side quests during the course of the main game. That said, it has also received a sizable uptick in difficulty compared to any other edition released.

More action-RPG-wise, there were a couple of Kingdom Hearts games released for the DS - one called 358/2 and Re:Coded. I can't speak for the latter, but 358/2 at least seems to retain a similar look and play-style to KH2 on PS2, which is nonetheless impressive. The Mario & Luigi games also are legitimately good RPG's, with the entries being Partners in Time and Bowser's Inside Story.

There is also Pokemon... any (and/or all) would be good choices.

I can't say I've played much of any sports titles on the DS, so I can't comment on these.

FPS-wise, there are a few CoD games and the very early Metroid Prime Hunters.

For something with a retro kick that was surprisingly good, I'd recommend Retro Game Challenge, which is based on the Japanese TV show, Game Center CX. It is so good that when I finally started watching the show, I immediately found myself pining for a sequel... only to be dismayed that there already was, and no plans to bring it states-side. Good luck finding it, but it is a gem worth getting.

On the eShop, there were also some download titles available, including a couple of bullet-hell shooters. Though I doubt that a DSi points card that you buy here would really work if used/redeemed over there. I wouldn't know the details on that, so YMMV in regards to that.

For some good story (with point-and-click adventure game-style rules), the Phoenix Wright series is fantastic. The first couple were technically made first for GBA, and it was Apollo Justice that was the first made-for-DS in the series. But they all were thoroughly good with engrossing cases. Worth at least a good play-through or two.

For more twitch-action, there are the Mega Man ZX titles, and the Mega Man Zero collection was re-released for the DS, which includes all four GBA titles packed together. Very solid entries, even if they are a departure from the pure feel of the Classic and (early) X titles.

For something a little more... relaxing, the Brain Age series suits the bill.

New Super Mario Bros. is also a good game on the DS, though I can't exactly speak for any of those beyond it.

The Sonic Rush games on the DS were good, but personally the best entry would be Sonic Colors. Rush-style gameplay, and probably the best special stage (and happy-tears-inducing music) around on a Sonic game for portables. Short of Generations, this may be the best recent Sonic game around.

I know most of these aren't FPS's, but all are solid, enjoyable and (the majority are) enduring titles that will last a good while.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

C0de, that was a very thoughtful and comprehensive post, thank you SO MUCH for that input!
DaMonster
join:2011-05-19
Tucson, AZ

DaMonster to signmeuptoo94

to signmeuptoo94
A 14 year old should pretty much be able to play anything so im just going to list a few and hope that some or any of these help you out.

Legos makes Batman, Star Wars, Pirates of the Caribbean, Indiana Jones, hairy potter and a few indi titles like lego battle. Plants vs Zombies is an addicting fun defense game. Scribblenauts, Kirby games, Mario Kart, Harvest Moon, Call of duty black ops, the grand theft auto was really good (if you dont mind him playing that), any of the zeldas are awesome on this system, Touchmaster make a bunch of electronic pub style games that are good time killers, any puzzle games like angry birds/zumas revenge/bejeweled, the professor layton series are really well done, contact was a great game, the world ends with you, 9 hours 9 persons 9 doors, radiant historia oh and the final fantasy tactics is a really long game (think i burned about 40 hours on mine easy).

The gameboy has a huge game list and many of the classics are available for download since he has the DualScreenInternet. If he has a genre preference that would help just because there is such a huge selection available. I hope this helps a bit.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Fantastic, thanks to you too! I didn't know about Harvest Moon, I'll check that out.

You know, I went into a Game Stop (or something, some sort of gamer store) the other day. The store was empty except for a man and woman and one employee. The employee was running his mouth about this game and that, and totally ignored me when I came in and for the 15 minutes I was in there, instead just yapping away about particulars in this game and that game.

He didn't acknowledge me when I walked in, he didn't say anything when I left. Not a very good job done there. I would have bought something had he at least said hello and acknowledged I was there. After all, he was just yammering about games, not closing sales and didn't have a line of customers.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

The chain nature means they all have to follow the same stupid policies, such as pushing their rewards card or encouraging trade-ins and preorders.

That said, each one seems to be vastly different from another. I've personally experienced some stores that would be willing to order something in from another store that was far enough away to make shipping from store to store a viable option, while others can't even be arsed to look up stuff for me.

But it is a lot of these policies that grind my gears regarding Gamestop in general. I pretty much only go in there if I have to.
DaMonster
join:2011-05-19
Tucson, AZ

to signmeuptoo94
I have been through a few game stores as well, most people in there I would say are socially awkward but I did start a conversation one day with the manager of the store I go to now. We ended up becoming good gaming associates and when I go in there he is usually asking my opinion on something new or has something cool to talk about. I only buy used games and I buy them in good to excellent condition cases only, because of this he will usually hold the case for me if he knows its something that I will end up picking up.

If there is a game that you like and your game store is crappy you can always check Amazon.com as well as other stores and have them shipped directly to you, possibly less expensive then at gamestop. Hopefully if you try again you can start asking one of the employees there about a game for the DSI and get a good customer relation going with someone that works there, then you can just call the store ahead and see if they are working before you venture over to the store.
DaMonster

to signmeuptoo94
The castlevanias and fire emblems are also really good on the system! I played most of them via emulator but I would have purchased them if nessessary.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
That Gamestop experience actually would be preferable to me compared to some of the overzealous and pushy experiences I've had in the past. Often when I'm shopping I just want to be left alone - if I have a question, I'll seek assistance. The last time I was at one, I said I was just browsing but the guy asked me several more times whether I needed help.

Did you approach him and ask questions and get ignored? That would be a bigger problem. But perhaps the guy had dealt with a lot of customers that did that didn't want to be bothered and so was taking a more low-key approach. Or perhaps, given that it's the holiday season, they're a bit burned out.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

dana, the thing is, well, I'm 54 and I've worked retail on and off for much of my life, even been a manager. There are some general rules to retail customer wait staff:

1. Always greet the customer.

2. Always acknowledge them, that they are there, even if it is just a wave or nod.

3. If in the middle of a conversation or sales effort, just tell the persons you are talking to "just a sec", let the other cutomer know you will get to them, and continue on.

4. Customers just browsing communicate that with body language, and those that want some attention communicate that with body language too. Sales staff is responsible for interpreting such things.

5. Always acknowledge a customer going out the door!

And yes, pestering customers is a no no, and district managers that pressure sales staff to do that are going against the wishes of higher management but catching hell because sales are off.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker

Premium Member

Rereading your post before that, you're right. You should have at least been acknowledged. Did the other people in the store seem like customers or did it seem like he was just chatting games with some friends who'd happened to wander in? I knew the former manager at a Gamestop here pretty well for a few years and even when we'd go in to shoot the breeze he had no qualms about blowing us off to see to customers.

I felt bad for the employees at the one I was at a few months ago. The register kept crashing when I was trying to buy an EA Game Card and it would take 10-15 minutes to restart it every time. They finally ended up knocking $5 off the price of my card for the inconvenience.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

They might have been customers, but the sales guy was just bloviating, trying to show his gaming wares. It sounded like he was saying "man, see how much I know, I am so leet!"