how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Shocking949

join:2012-12-05
Laguna Niguel, CA

[CA] [South Orange County] 20-40% Packet Loss since Thanksgiving

So on Thanksgiving I was told I "sounded like a robot" over VOIP which led me to start a google.com ping -t. After about 4 hours I noticed I was at 40% packet loss. I called Cox, they noticed a problem too, sent out a tech. Signal in was great, but I'm still getting packet loss. This is after I've tried jacking the modem straight into the wall.

I've also replaced the modem since (it wasn't DOCSIS3). There were no problems with the cables/amplifier that he could see. I had him check the street box that divides the line into my immediate neighbors and he saw nothing wrong there either.

Did Cox secretly shut down some hardware to save money and now my node is oversold? What's the deal? =\

I'm constantly streaming netflix or video conferencing on skype, or gaming. None of these are currently possible with my situation and I'm not sure how it can be fixed considering the tech found nothing wrong. Been happy with the cox internet service for the 6 years I've lived down here and I really don't want to have to change over to another ISP.

I'm starting another smokeping now. I lost the URL on the first.

Thanks in advance for any help. Please let me know if I need to provide any other details.

*edit* I forgot to mention that the packet loss definitely gets worse around primetime (5-10pm). Ping is usually 45-55ms even during high packet loss. However, it is sporadically bad throughout the day

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2

Re: [CA] [South Orange County] 20-40% Packet Loss since Thanksgi

No, it isn't you or them being oversold. Some router took a dump and they will have to truckroll and fix it. It has happened to me a few times and after a couple of weeks it is 'magically' fixed.

Shocking949

Laguna Niguel, CA

couple of weeks?

Anyway I can help them speed that along or am I SOL?

CoxTech1
VIP
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA
kudos:76
reply to Shocking949

If you want to PM me the modem's MAC address I can take a look.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Shocking949

I don't bother calling in which is why it takes a few weeks. I'm lazy. It's a bad router somewhere in the local network. I'm in Nellie Gail not too far from you and not having any problems at all.

Call Cox back and tell them the truck roll didn't fix it and they'll escalate it.

Shocking949

Laguna Niguel, CA
reply to CoxTech1

PM sent, thanks.

Shocking949

Laguna Niguel, CA
reply to Shocking949

Update:

»/r3/smokeping.···8772d.KS