Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
kudos:2
reply to CylonRed

Re: [WIN7] Mess with changing User Folders Location to non C:

said by CylonRed:

Then you have something else going on as the default locations can be changed in the programs themselves so they are saved in the new location.

Nothing else going on. I wish I could be more specific, but programs wouldn't even install. I'm not talking about applications which under normal use save documents. Things like Quickbooks, Peachtree, etc... although I cannot remember the exact apps. Undo the location change and they install fine or an error message goes away. I wonder if it has something to do with the junction point. For instance in Windows 7, the default document location is x:\users\{username}\documents. MS created a "My Documents" junction point for older software, but I wonder if when you change the default document location, the junction point is modified? If not, maybe it needs to be.

FYI, In Windows 8 it appears as if MS has gone back to the "My Documents" storage location. Anyone know why there is a "My Documents" junction point in the same location, other than that is something the Microsoft upgrade forgot to remove?

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
Sounds like poorly-designed apps that are hard-coded to look at a location vs using something like "%USERDIR%" (not sure of exact variable name).

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
said by Hall:

Sounds like poorly-designed apps that are hard-coded to look at a location vs using something like "%USERDIR%" (not sure of exact variable name).

I agree, but these were major applications. I never had a problem doing it in XP, so I suspect it has something to do with the new name in WIN7 (maybe Vista too). I assume they were looking at %userprofile%\specific folder and hitting upon a junction point they could not deal with. In WIN8 they now renamed the document folder "My Documents", same for pictures, music, etc. which may because of the problems that were caused. I can't imagine any other reason for back-tracking to the XP names. I appreciate that for other reasons too.

For myself, I've never found a compelling reason to do it. Give me one disk drive and one partition plenty big enough and my life is simple and I am happy. Image the drive occasionally and back up your data regularly and redundantly.

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

1 recommendation

reply to Hall
You'd be amazed at how many poorly coded/designed apps there are out there. The number that don't allow you to change the install directory is amazing.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ¯ Robert A. Heinlein

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3
People can also redirect folders, and subst drives. I just found it easier to save what I needed on another drive, but there are some prigrams which might not give the option of other folders. Except for appdata which is automatic I saved nothing to my default profile structure. It's amazing how much crap is left as dead files in that folder structure from piss poor written programs, and just to mention it many leave so much crap in the temp folders they can get to be GBs in size. Adobe for example will error after it has filled the user temp files that it didn't cleanup, and the user has to fix this bs created by poorly written software.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent out necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
+1. I've set every program that saves user data files (word processors, readers, spreadsheets, photo editors, etc) to save their files to subfolders within a single, separate "data" folder on a separate drive. It makes data backup much easier and faster. I've been doing this since back in Win98 days.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to Kilroy
I guess I should be more surprised that I have yet to come across any. I have been using separate data and application partitions for years upon years.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain