Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to pandora

Re: The renovation continues ... today new 400 amp service!

I'm curious what one needs 400 amps in a house for? My parents have a 4,000 sq. ft. house with 200 amps then an oversized 4 car garage with half of it being a full woodworking shop and that is only 100 amps.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by Draiman:

I'm curious what one needs 400 amps in a house for? My parents have a 4,000 sq. ft. house with 200 amps then an oversized 4 car garage with half of it being a full woodworking shop and that is only 100 amps.

I was thinking the same thing. I have a 300 amp but that is misleading as the POCO would install that free underground or I could pay to have the existing 200 amp relocated underground. My house is still 200 amp and I take off the meter base with a 100 amp circuit breaker for my garage. All wiring from the POCO is the same as with the 200 amp. In fact it's the same as it was when my service was 100 amp.

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to Draiman
said by Draiman:

Your parents obviously have different electrical demands than my family. When this home was purchased it had 100 amp service and some large appliances which were acquired for business purposes required an extra 100 amps.

There was no cost increase from the utility for 400 amp conduit, only on my end for the circuit breaker boxes and automatic throw switches. The extra cost was about $2,000 (mostly the 2nd Generac automatic transfer switch). The utility would have run over the air 400 amp service at no cost (but it would have to be to the quadrant of the house nearest the pole, with conduit I'm able to tuck the meter behind the house, closer to the generator.

My home is now entirely heated by electricity (a Geospring for hot water) and by heat pumps (for hot or cool air). Auxiliary heat requires 20KW per air handler (we have 2 air handlers). The electric heater can draw 4,400 watts, if two are installed (which may happen) I'll need 8,800 watts.

Running to my attic are 2 100 amp lines for the air handlers and auxiliary heat. My guess is your parents have a different home configuration.
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"

ncbill
Premium
join:2007-01-23
Winston Salem, NC
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
So why didn't you pick a ground source heat pump?

IIRC, those are more efficient for heating than air-source, plus can be configured to provide hot water.

said by pandora:

My home is now entirely heated by electricity (a Geospring for hot water) and by heat pumps (for hot or cool air). Auxiliary heat requires 20KW per air handler (we have 2 air handlers). The electric heater can draw 4,400 watts, if two are installed (which may happen) I'll need 8,800 watts.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
said by ncbill:

IIRC, those are more efficient for heating than air-source,

They are. But for a 5000 square foot house the necessary loop may have been prohibitively expensive in a heating-dominated climate like CT. And you'd still likely want backup heat of some sorts.

plus can be configured to provide hot water.

It can help supplement, but not necessarily fully replace. Plus in the winter most of the heat is used for heating. You can install an even longer loop for domestic hot water as well, but that adds even more cost.

pandora
Premium
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to ncbill
said by ncbill:

IIRC, those are more efficient for heating than air-source, plus can be configured to provide hot water.

It saves me $60,000 for the time being, later a ground heat pump solution can be installed. I tried, but the price difference was too great.
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
said by pandora:

said by ncbill:

It saves me $60,000 for the time being, later a ground heat pump solution can be installed. I tried, but the price difference was too great.

You get back 30% of that on your taxes, which is about 18 grand. I would have done geothermal if I had the opportunity.

pandora
Premium
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
said by fifty nine:

You get back 30% of that on your taxes, which is about 18 grand. I would have done geothermal if I had the opportunity.

When I ran the numbers, my total cost would be $60,000.

Each family has it's own unique situation.
--