uniqs
share rss forum feed

eweazel

join:2008-12-09
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

How to connect two offices together

Here is my situation. I have taken over as GM for my company. We have three offices, our main one and the one I work out of is in Toronto, and we have a store in Ottawa. I want to setup a camera network and a server in Ottawa that I can access in Toronto. As well as setting up a inventory control system so i know what they sold and what they have in stock.

Does anyone know if there is a well priced POS inventory software that will combine physical inventory with our website and our physical store.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

I thought you were asking for VPN solutions. You really want POS software that integrates with a web store as well, correct?

OHSrob

join:2011-06-08
reply to eweazel

Business Vision will do what you want. But its not real time inventory tracking it only updates once a day.

eweazel

Etobicoke, ON
reply to eweazel

I guess I am looking at VPN as well. I want to setup a camera network there too, so I can watch what goes on from Toronto. There is very little supervision at the moment.

eweazel

Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to OHSrob

Updating once a day works, its better then manually updating when ever we can as is the norm right now with the Microsof product we are using, unless of course they have been using it the wrong way all these years. This has been a business that setup up these things 6-10 years ago and never changed a thing since then.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to eweazel

said by eweazel:

I guess I am looking at VPN as well. I want to setup a camera network there too, so I can watch what goes on from Toronto. There is very little supervision at the moment.

The VPN is the easy part. Site to site with firewalls. You may need to replace hardware if the one end does not support it.

The only catch is if both offices are using the same network. If you have 192.168.1.x in both offices, one will have to change or else your routing will not work.

NeTwOrKDawg
Networking is a lifestyle

join:2005-04-25
Brantford, ON
reply to eweazel

Yeah the vpn is the easy part. There are so many solutions out there from free, cheap and then expensive. I have experience with tons of solutions ranging from free for 10 locations, up to a 3000+ location vpn using moderately priced firewalls with a central hub.

The camera's are easy to do too, if you are going to use IP cameras. Very very easy.

eweazel

Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by NeTwOrKDawg:

Yeah the vpn is the easy part. There are so many solutions out there from free, cheap and then expensive. I have experience with tons of solutions ranging from free for 10 locations, up to a 3000+ location vpn using moderately priced firewalls with a central hub.

The camera's are easy to do too, if you are going to use IP cameras. Very very easy.

I know next to nothing VPN, I will admit that much. I am ok the basic networking in one location, but when it comes to VPN'ing I would be lying if I said it didnt frigthen me a bit. I am looking at an IP based camera setup. I am assuming that once I setup a VPN and have access to everything from then on adding other elements to the system will be easier.

NeTwOrKDawg

Brantford, ON
reply to eweazel

Well, for the vpn, what did you have in mind to use for the endpoint at each location? You could setup a pfsense firewall, which the software is free and you just need to provide a system to run it on. I run my pfsense box on an old HP Thin client.

VPN is very, very easy depending on the gui on the firewall.

The easiest solution for vpn is if you have a static IP on each end's Internet connection, but it is not needed. Dynamic IPs just complicate it a little bit.

rowberto

@rogers.com
reply to NeTwOrKDawg

if u simply just purchase a vpn router, connect it at your ottawa store, their internet goes thru the vpn, its like theyre on the same network as ur toronto network, so if u put a ip camera, u can access it in real time from toronto, as for pos, they are connected by RJ45 so the ones in toronto and ottawa are technically linked so who ever does the closing in toronto has to wait for all the pos in ottawa to shut down before it will poll, hoep this helps

eweazel

Etobicoke, ON
reply to NeTwOrKDawg

I have a static IP in toronto, and will get one for Ottawa. Now the rest of it is where I am totally lost on, I guess once I see the infrastructure everyting will make more sense to me.

NeTwOrKDawg

Brantford, ON
reply to eweazel

eweazel , if you use an IM program such as Skype, MSN, google, etc, you can feel free to add me and we can chat more. Glad to offer my help if you want it.

eweazel

Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by NeTwOrKDawg:

eweazel , if you use an IM program such as Skype, MSN, google, etc, you can feel free to add me and we can chat more. Glad to offer my help if you want it.

Thank you will do. This project is one for the new year, but I am preparing the costs analysis for the owner. This is going to be a difficult transition as most people here are 60+ and this is going to scare them.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

Just 'splain it as a set of private strings & tin cans between the offices That way they'll understand.

MaynardKrebs
Premium
reply to eweazel

Seriously, this it not much different than having a LAN at a complex of buildings (eg. a factory with admin, production, & warehouse buildings). The VPN is just the secure 'glue' that allows one building to talk to another, and all the computers/printers/cameras/etc... in each of the buildings.

cooldude9919

join:2000-05-29
kudos:5
reply to eweazel

What speeds do you have at each office? If you have slow upload in Ottawa trying to view the camera's remotely will not go very well.

MaynardKrebs
Premium

Good point.
A 25/7 DSL connection at each location would be a good starting point for 60 people.

MaynardKrebs
Premium
reply to eweazel

No idea how good this may be
»www.moneris.com/en/Solutions/POS···ail.aspx

cooldude9919

reply to MaynardKrebs

said by MaynardKrebs:

Good point.
A 25/7 DSL connection at each location would be a good starting point for 60 people.

Should be yes if he can get those speeds (distance issue?), depends on how much file transfers they will have between the offices. Doesnt sound like he will have 500gb of replication or anything so they probably dont have a need for fiber/ethernet services yet.

If you are doing your own vpn route, i would try to have the same provider at each location, so your routing and latency should be very good.

eweazel

Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by cooldude9919:

said by MaynardKrebs:

Good point.

Should be yes if he can get those speeds (distance issue?), depends on how much file transfers they will have between the offices. Doesnt sound like he will have 500gb of replication or anything so they probably dont have a need for fiber/ethernet services yet.

If you are doing your own vpn route, i would try to have the same provider at each location, so your routing and latency should be very good.

At the moment we have Teksavvy which I finally was allowed to upgrade after 3 years of bitching and we are now at 16/1. I will upgrade the ottawa store to the same.

We dont do anything close to 500gb, this is just more purely files (excel/word) that I want to have in a server in Toronto, rather then them having access only on their computers which again to me is a waste of resources and security, especially as in the past year I have seen money being wasted on data recovery for each computer because no one backs up, when these old computers crash.

I could be going about this the wrong way, if there is an easier way I am also open to it. This is me just scratching my head and how this place has been operated and thinkign there has to be a better way.

eweazel

Etobicoke, ON

Even our online store is horrendous, it was first setup in 2003, and nothing has been upgraded on it since. I have a mountain to climb and very little resources to do it.

cooldude9919

reply to eweazel

said by eweazel:

said by cooldude9919:

said by MaynardKrebs:

Good point.

At the moment we have Teksavvy which I finally was allowed to upgrade after 3 years of bitching and we are now at 16/1. I will upgrade the ottawa store to the same.

We dont do anything close to 500gb, this is just more purely files (excel/word) that I want to have in a server in Toronto, rather then them having access only on their computers which again to me is a waste of resources and security, especially as in the past year I have seen money being wasted on data recovery for each computer because no one backs up, when these old computers crash.

I could be going about this the wrong way, if there is an easier way I am also open to it. This is me just scratching my head and how this place has been operated and thinkign there has to be a better way.

Well with only 1mbps upload dont expect anything great with streaming the camera video, but depending on the quality it may be OK enough.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to eweazel

You can do, realistically, SD quality, as long as you're not doing much else with the connection at the same time (not hosting an online shop off it). To be honest, under no circumstances should any online shop ever be hosted off a DSL line like this. That belongs in a datacenter, which is something that can be done on the cheap at a high-end provider like Linode for $20/mth or so.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

eweazel

Etobicoke, ON

We are not hosting anything, I believe the online store is being hosted by open hosting.

eweazel

Etobicoke, ON
reply to Guspaz

The video is not something to always be on, just every once in a while, just to see what is happening. So its not something that I am too worried about.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
reply to eweazel

SAP. They can put EVERYTHING together. Website, and stores plus warehouse. They can even put your pricing system in with it.

For VPN, why not use MPLS?

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to eweazel

said by eweazel:

The video is not something to always be on, just every once in a while, just to see what is happening. So its not something that I am too worried about.

Just to catch the employees mooning you

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to eweazel

said by eweazel:

They'll do no good at all. Walmart has cameras and 75% of their inventory losses are from staff, during business hours. If it's theft you're worried about, cameras will actually cause a rise in losses.

If its attendance, use time clocks.

If it's all of the above, you have the wrong people working for you.

If it's none of the above, they have the wrong GM.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged
Expand your moderator at work

weales

join:2002-06-30
Hampton, ON
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to eweazel

Re: How to connect two offices together

said by eweazel:

Even our online store is horrendous, it was first setup in 2003, and nothing has been upgraded on it since. I have a mountain to climb and very little resources to do it.

Upgrading your online store can be upgraded to something newer for a little $ depending on how you want things done. If you want more advice on this, just pm me, could either offer you something or point you in the direction to something else that would suite your needs better.